Thread: G2 Comm Error

G2 Comm Error

C150PXABC

I took the boat out for a minute this afternoon. When I got back to the dock I put the motor in neutral and got a COMM ERROR CONTACT DEALER code. I left it running and went and got the truck. I was able to reverse away from the dock, and put it in forward to load the boat with no problems, but the error still read.

On my way home I called the dealer and the guy told me it might be a shifting problem and suggested I start it up and shift it to see if it corrects the problem. He stated if that does not fix it, then bring it in. I don't have the hose hooked up right now because it's still too cold, but when I got home I moved the throttle shifter back and forth a few times and turned the key to the on position. I still received the same code. I tried a few more time and am getting the same code. Do I actually need to start the motor to potentially solve this problem, or is turning the key to the on position good enough? Any help is appreciated. I can get the hose out over the weekend and test it if I have to. I know this will bother me until I get it fixed...

2. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    What's the code number?

3. Member
    No code number. What’s in all caps is all it says.

4. Member
    What display was showing the code?
    Comm is obviously communication in the networks of which there are two. A private network, for all thing critical to engine operation. And a public network, for all things data communication related. Things like rpm, fuel flow, display of faults and other engine telemetry. There are different fault code numbers that specifically identify which network a related problem may be present.

It is best to have the dealer pull a diagnostics report to get the specifics.

5. Member
    I have the two gauges, the tach, and speedo. The speedo is the one showing the code.

I was messing around in the garage, and if I played with the trim button on the motor, and then turned the key to the on position, it would not throw the code, and then when I shifted the throttle, I could hear the lower unit shifting. If I then turned the key off, and turned it back on, it would throw the code, and nothing would happen if I tried to shift it. It looks like I'll be taking it in next week.

6. Member
    I should have been more specific in my question. What brand gauges. Ranger boat?
    Evinrude's brand 7.0, 4.3 color and Nautius would all display code number and other detail for corrective action. Also later other MFDs by Lowrance, Simrad and Garmin were all licensed to display fault details.

7. Member
    I just pulled up the codes on my Lowrance and they are as follows:

Code 21 Network Communicaiton Fault
    Code 20 PBLC Network Communications
    Code 19 Private Network Communicaitons

I also went into the history and found the following from yesterday:
    EMMO Private Bus Heart Beat Lost
    EMMO NMEA Heart Beat Lost
    EMMO Communication Lost

8. Member
    Here are the code meanings.
    Major connecting points for the networks are at the remote control harness and behind the front cover of the engine.

EMM0 Private bus heart beat lost
    Code 19 PRVT Network communications fault
    FNR indicators flash
    Check remote control network connections

EMM0 NMEA bus heart beat lost
    Code 20 PBLC Network communications fault
    FNR indicators flash
    Check NMEA 2000 network connections

EMM0 communication lost
    Code 21 Network communications fault on
    Shift and throttle commands NOT available. Check remote control and NMEA 2000 Network connections.

9. Member
    Thanks. I'll have to check the connections. If that doesn't fix it, then it goes to the dealer.