From Champion to a Cat in near future.

Well after running my Champion 202 for 12 years i got confirmation that a buddy from work will buy it in the next month.
    It was a great rig and has served me well, i had it outfitted with all the latest stuff from Garmin and HB, Lithiums ect…

Im taking the Lithiums, livescope and a couple graphs off it so i will have 3 100ah ionics and 1 125ah, Garmin 1222 with livescope, Helix 12, and a Solix 15 for my new rig.

Looking at some 2011+ year model Pumas and Cougars, or possibly an Eyra. Any input would be great.
    May go ahead and find a rig with a new 4 stroke Merc as well.

Haven’t made my mine up on which model but im very picky as I don’t trade boats often, usually 10 years or so and want to find one in excellent condition and colors I really like.

Does the dual graphs up front block the view badly when running wide open?

Also if i buy an older rig with a Motor guide tour, how bad is it to modify the cover to fit over the new Ultrex?

Thanks Collin C.
    Bass Cat
    Eyra 300xs

2. Member
    If you had a Champ, and you can find one in your budget, get a Cougar or Puma with the 203 Hybrid hull. You will have to go newer than you planned as I don't think the 203 hull is very old, or as old as you stated you were looking for.

3. Member
    Graphs don’t get in the way unless you mounted them on something that sits high off the deck. I believe the 203 Cougar/puma first year was 20 so still gonna be pricey. Besides the 203, the Cougar and pre 22 puma have the exact same hull, just different caps. Motor guide and ultrex have the same bolt pattern, should be a easy swap.
    If you get a 250hp, it won’t be a hammer down and top out at a smooth 65. Gonna take a few hours to learn to drive it at the70++ mph mark. You’ll be makin wakes and splittin lakes!
    2020 BassCat Cougar FTD SP
    2020 250 Pro SX
    #Denalirods #Powerpole
    #PowerhouseLithium
    #Powerpole Move

4. Member
    I had a champ 184 as my 1st boat. My cougar doesn’t handle as good as it did but it’s a lot faster and still rides good. The fit and finish is great and I love the layout. The rear storage boxes are tight but I didn’t have any in the 184 and a 202 doesn’t have much either. Still have under seat storage. I personally love the trolling pedal location and lower gunnels for flipping.
    BassCat Cougar FTD w/Suzuki 250SS

5. Member
    I'm in my first cat and I ended up in my second choice which was the cougar and man it was a great choice. 2019 cougar with 250 v8 merc and I'm very pleased. I didn't like the layout of the puma, but the new STS puma is very nice. I like the layout of the cougar and the larger front deck. It has a very smooth ride and performs very well. It's definitely not as "easy" to drive then my last ranger but I don't really need to do 78mph often lol. The cougar feels so nimble when fishing, like it's an 18 ft boat but with 20ft boat storage and speed. It's hard to explain...

I had a 203 ChampioN prior to purchasing a Panterra IV. I loved the Panterra, no where near as tippy at rest.
    2022 Basscat Jaquar
    Mercury 300 Pro Xs

7. Member
    Hey Collin. This is AJ from PG. met you at Steve’s a few times. I know you’re not looking for a Lynx, but you are more than welcome to check it out. I’ve got duals at the console and can give you my input on running a dual set up.

The easiest transition from Champ to Cat is the Hybrid of you can find a ‘19 model.