Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Should I replace this wear sleeve

I noticed the last time I was out, I had some grease slung onto the inside of one of the trailer wheels. I have a Stratos single axle trailer that was built with Dexter/UFP parts. I took the hub off and honestly, everything looked like new. I'm getting ready to replace the seal and repack the bearings but wonder if I should replace the wear sleeve, also?

Obviously, I'd prefer not to as I've never done it and I've read they can be a pain to remove and reinstall, but I also don't want to be slinging grease in less than a week. What do you think? Any tips for easy removal? I have a heat gun and Dremel. Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Use red lock tite and install a new seal but leave it a 1/4 inch out from fully installed. This will make it ride in a different spot on the sleeve.

Or replace the sleeve if you can feel the groove.

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"
    Own the Champ! Life Long Petty Fan!

2003 ChampioN 2006 250 Merc. XB, Prop By Mark C.
    2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

3. Member
    May be what I'll do. I have a feeling this thing isn't going to come off easily but it sounds as though using a Dremel tool to score it and then pry with screwdriver may be the best way. If I decided to just leave it be, seems like there'll be a bit of luck involved making sure it's not riding in the same spot. Seal looked a little proud of flush when I took it out so may be I should hammer it in flush.

I’d replace the wear ring and inner seal since you have it all apart.
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

5. Member
    Is this the correct seal, replacement sleeve, and O-ring I'd need for the sleeve? This is a 2005 single axle trailer with the UPF drop axles. OD of wear sleeve/spindle measures 1.687".

Quote Originally Posted by jasonjeremiah View Post
    Is this the correct seal, replacement sleeve, and O-ring I'd need for the sleeve? This is a 2005 single axle trailer with the UPF drop axles. OD of wear sleeve/spindle measures 1.687".
    Correct parts. Can get all UFP parts needed from Waymires.
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

7. Member
    Replace the wear sleeve. Use a dremel tool and carefully score old sleeve. It will pop right off.

8. Member
    Yeah if in question I would just replace. It’s not too bad once you get into it. If you have a new wear sleeve, you can take it down to the hardware store and make a nice sleeve driver out of metal pipe. I don’t remember the size but I found a coupler that fit the sleeve nicely and then got a short length of pipe and cap for the opposite end. Drives it right on.
    Last edited by lmoore; 03-17-2023 at 09:09 AM.

9. Member
    Thanks for the info!

10. Member
    Well, I set out to remove the wear ring today. Didn't even try to remove it with pipe wrench or anything since it seemed everyone else had better luck scoring with Dremel. Of course, I ground right through the sleeve and hit the spindle underneath. Tried prying at the score with a screwdriver and nothing. Took a pipe wrench and the sleeve started spinning without much force, so the Dremel scoring was unnecessary. I have the sleeve mostly off, but the pipe wrench slipped and scratched the spindle next to where the outer bearing race rides. Is this anything to be concerned about?

11. Member
    Dremel was necessary or you wouldn't of been moving the sleeve with a pipe wrench. I took my time and scored my wear sleeves all the way across the sleeve, they popped right off no issues. If you touched the part the wear sleeve rides on with the Dremel a bit that's no issue.. The new wear sleeve covers that up!

12. Member
    Also Use a new o ring and red Permatex to reinstall the wear sleeve.

shouldn't be a problem. Just get some fine emery cloth and polish it out.

2020 Ranger 521L Tour, 300 Mercury, 112 Minn Kota Ultrex
    3 12" Helix Units, Mega Si, Mega Di, Mega 360, Garmin 8412 W LiveScope mounted on Rite Hite Turret.

14. Member
    Get the west sleeve scored all the way across and it will pop off. Clean up any scratches with fine emery cloth, as mentioned. I had one I scored a little more than the others and filled with JB Weld them sanded smooth and put on the new wear sleeve with red permatex. JB Weld part is probably unnecessary.

15. Member
    When I did one, I did exactly what was described with the Dremel. Even with the wrench it wouldn't budge. I did get it eventually, but pop right off, not even close. It was a major PITA!

16. Member
    I'm really starting to wish I'd left the hub alone. I got a 1.25" threaded coupler as someone suggested, and it did fit the OD of the wear sleeve nicely. The biggest problem and what took the longest was getting it started straight enough and preventing it from bunching to one side. I put some of the Permatex green sleeve retainer sealant on the spindle but by the time I got the sleeve driven on, I'd handled it so much I'm sure it had been wiped away and dried to nothing. I'm sure water will eventually get underneath it, but the thought of taking it back off just to spread more Permatex on is not appealing at all.

Additionally, I'm not sure it's even driven on far enough as it sits about an 1/8" proud of the spindle collar. I've pounded and pounded it to the point I'm afraid it's going to distort or bend the front lip of the sleeve. I'm not sure it'll even drive on any further as there's a welded burr on each side that prevents it from going further. Either that, or it's already bottomed out. It's hard to tell visually if the wear sleeve is pressed on as far as it should go. I'd hate for it to not be and the bearing riding a little proud of where it should. I've posted photos of the top, side and bottom, as well as the 'burrs' of metal that seem to prevent the sleeve from driving on further. What do you think?

17. Member
    Looks good, button it up and go fishing.

18. mikesxpress
    Jason you have it back far enough. The sleeves are a PIA.

19. Member
    agreed... I'd roll with it as it looks there.
    2021 Ranger 620FS
    2021 Merc 250 Pro XS; s/n 3B057438
    MK Ulterra 112

20. Member
    Yeah nothing wrong with that, looks like you did a nice job.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast