Herter's Model 700 Wire former

Long story, but got an email from a stranger in town that said she had luremaking supplies to get rid of and saw my name on a website. Said her dad had made spinnerbaits and did I want to look at acquiring his stuff as he had passed. Seems like getting my throat cut was a possibility but not likely, and getting a few blades might come in handy.

Well, I show up at the address and it is three generations of women packing up a house because it has sold. Very nice ladies that tell me that the old patriarch had died and he used to build lures to sell at area stores. I follow them to a shop and there is boxes and boxes and boxes of stuff. Probably 100 lbs of wire all labeled and spooled. Four big part bins with every clevis, swivel, bead you have ever seen. One huge cardboard box full of nothing but treble hooks in 500 count unopened smaller boxes. And then probably 75 lbs of blades. Also several old lead molds, some lead, and this Herter's wire former.

It is mostly stuff I would think you would use for building trout lures. Metal bodies, french spinning blades, etc. But plenty of bass stuff too. I ask her what she wants for it and she says she just wants to know that someone will use it and that I can have it all. Then she and the grand daughter help me load it in my truck. It literally is enough boxes to cover the bed of my truck. Anyway, now I have a ton of stuff that I have been tinkering with.

The one thing I can't figure out exactly is this Herter's 700 wire former. Lot of cranks and dials and pins. I have looked online for instructions but can't find any.

Would one of you know how to get me going?

Thanks.

2. Member
    A little more searching lead me to the Bogg's Tackle Maker--it does not look exactly like the Herter's but the implements are pretty much the same. Think I have it figured out.

I looked it up, it looks like the boggs that I have and it works pretty well, it will take a bit of practice and adjustment to get nice wraps, but it does work well. there are a few videos on you tube also. I was not able to locate the instructions for mine, but if I find them I will post it

4. Member
    That is a good score. Be sure to post some of your new creations.

5. Member
    I have the Jann's and basically the same thing. Here is the paperwork that I have. If you have problems downloading for a copy, PM me your email and I'll send it that way.
    Wire Form 1.pdf
    Wire Form 2.pdf
    Wire Form 3.pdf

6. Member
    Thank you Brushjigs.