Thread: New Gamblers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New Gamblers

How are the new Gambler owners doing? Are they building and selling any new boats? I hope they are

2. Member
    S.L.O.W…… process, hope they make it!

3. Member
    Sounds like things are not good at all. People are cancelling orders due to lapse of time. I am aware of one person who had waited well over a year before he cancelled. They had not started his boat yet after well over a year of waiting. He is waiting for a refund of the deposit, but who knows if he will ever see it. Rumor has it that they have lost most of the workers now too. Sad to see really

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfrank View Post
    Sounds like things are not good at all. People are cancelling orders due to lapse of time. I am aware of one person who had waited well over a year before he cancelled. They had not started his boat yet after well over a year of waiting. He is waiting for a refund of the deposit, but who knows if he will ever see it. Rumor has it that they have lost most of the workers now too. Sad to see really
    What is your source of that info? Hate to hear that, I guess it’s hard to get paid if your not moving inventory. One or maybe two boats a year wont get it done.

5. Member
    Where is Heath Murphy?

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JAZII View Post
    Where is Heath Murphy?
    Hey JAZII, hope all is well buddy. Unfortunately, I had to leave the day to day operations at Gambler back in December right after we finished the silver boat. I honestly have no idea what's been going on there since then. I've heard a lot rumors, but they're all just that... rumors. I'm currently still unemployed and looking for my next move. I went and visited a bunch of the big name bass boat companies a couple of months ago and met a lot of folks. I just can't seem to find anything my heart is in like what I was trying to create at Gambler. The high volume, cookie-cutters just don't do it for me.
    - Heath

I hate to hear this Heath.
    24’Bass Cat Puma Sts-300 Proxs
    23’Gatortrax Gt tunnel hull-200 Suzuki

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by H.Murphy View Post
    Hey JAZII, hope all is well buddy. Unfortunately, I had to leave the day to day operations at Gambler back in December right after we finished the silver boat. I honestly have no idea what's been going on there since then. I've heard a lot rumors, but they're all just that... rumors. I'm currently still unemployed and looking for my next move. I went and visited a bunch of the big name bass boat companies a couple of months ago and met a lot of folks. I just can't seem to find anything my heart is in like what I was trying to create at Gambler. The high volume, cookie-cutters just don't do it for me.
    SORRY TO HEAR THIS!

Best of Luck!

I still say the new Gambler owners should've went with a lower starting price point to get some boats built. Custom built boats will never do good at a network of dealers. You know "custom" means buyers want to pick their colors and setups.
    The old saying goes, "You can sheer a sheep many time, but only slaughter it once"!

9. Member
    Not sure the issue is with the pricing or lack of interest. I think they have plenty of people that would/could buy one if they could actually get them built. The demand for any boat was never higher than the last few years. I understand the challenges of Covid, etc they had in the beginning. But they have only built maybe 4 or 5 new boats in the 3+ years since they took over.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by G-man View Post
    Not sure the issue is with the pricing or lack of interest. I think they have plenty of people that would/could buy one if they could actually get them built. The demand for any boat was never higher than the last few years. I understand the challenges of Covid, etc they had in the beginning. But they have only built maybe 4 or 5 new boats in the 3+ years since they took over.
    Well for one, Getting outboard motors without a big pre order is hurting small boat builders for sure.

The Gambler Sterling name is not BIG enough to charge 115K+ for a 22' bass boat.

Every newer bass boat manufacturer became what they are by bassically under pricing their boats to get them to market.

It's a crying shame, if Ackerbloom was still making them I would have considered ordering another Sterling.
    2022 Basscat Jaquar
    Mercury 300 Pro Xs

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Steel View Post
    It's a crying shame, if Ackerbloom was still making them I would have considered ordering another Sterling.
    I hear you, but he has bigger fish to fry!

13. Member
    SORRY TO HEAR THIS!

Best of Luck!

I still say the new Gambler owners should've went with a lower starting price point to get some boats built. Custom built boats will never do good at a network of dealers. You know "custom" means buyers want to pick their colors and setups.
    The old saying goes, "You can sheer a sheep many time, but only slaughter it once"!
    G-man is correct... Sales/pricing were never the problem. It took us a year to get the first boat out the door and buy the time we finished it we had 12 or so more orders to build. Staffing on the other hand was (and apparently still is) an enormous challenge. Without enough of the right skilled people on your core team you're kind of forced to choose between maintaining superior product quality, or maintaining the production schedule. You simply don't have the bandwidth to do both. Obviously given the slow production times we chose to not sacrifice on quality. You can get away with that for a little while but eventually you have to get your production rates up so that you can start generating enough revenue to cover the overhead of the business; otherwise you get into a cashflow crunch or simply run out of money before you can get the next boat out the door. The distribution strategy we were leaning towards was for dealers to have 2 boats on the lot (one of each hull size) so that people could kick the tires and see the craftsmanship in person, go for demo rides, etc. etc. Folks could then place an order through the dealer for their "custom" boat in whatever color and configuration they choose. Do you guys think there is a better distribution model? I'd sincerely like to hear everyone's opinions. Try to keep in mind the costs associated with things like sales/marketing, warranty and service, longer-term customer support, etc. that are typically on the dealer's plate.
    - Heath

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by H.Murphy View Post
    G-man is correct... Sales/pricing were never the problem. It took us a year to get the first boat out the door and buy the time we finished it we had 12 or so more orders to build. Staffing on the other hand was (and apparently still is) an enormous challenge. Without enough of the right skilled people on your core team you're kind of forced to choose between maintaining superior product quality, or maintaining the production schedule. You simply don't have the bandwidth to do both. Obviously given the slow production times we chose to not sacrifice on quality. You can get away with that for a little while but eventually you have to get your production rates up so that you can start generating enough revenue to cover the overhead of the business; otherwise you get into a cashflow crunch or simply run out of money before you can get the next boat out the door. The distribution strategy we were leaning towards was for dealers to have 2 boats on the lot (one of each hull size) so that people could kick the tires and see the craftsmanship in person, go for demo rides, etc. etc. Folks could then place an order through the dealer for their "custom" boat in whatever color and configuration they choose. Do you guys think there is a better distribution model? I'd sincerely like to hear everyone's opinions. Try to keep in mind the costs associated with things like sales/marketing, warranty and service, longer-term customer support, etc. that are typically on the dealer's plate.

All depends what the boat manufacture is looking to do. Build few high quality custom boats like Stroker, Allison, and Built or mass produce cookie cutter boats.
    Getting dealers involved in custom boat sales just adds overhead to the end cost of the finished product.
    If no problem with outboard supplies for the orders that had been taken its just a matter of putting in the hours required to finish the orders.
    People or "workers" are a problem for all hands on type work these days, covid and a few other things are truly killing this country.

I truly do not think anybody could make "Gambler" any bigger than it was with Bob Ackerbloom, even his son brought down Gambler/Sterling.
    Just my $0.02 since owning a Gambler going back to 1990 183, currently in a Sterling 2010.

Slow production times do not seem to be hurting Mercury(53 weeks) or Yamaha(70 weeks) unless you are a big name outboard buyer.

My thoughts Heath as we spoke about it. You, they are a startup company, pricing was crazy as I told you. You told me the new owners made tremendous improvements on the Sterling. It was fine as it was.
    2022 Basscat Jaquar
    Mercury 300 Pro Xs

16. Member
    My thoughts Heath as we spoke about it. You, they are a startup company, pricing was crazy as I told you. You told me the new owners made tremendous improvements on the Sterling. It was fine as it was.
    Fairly certain I would never use the word "tremendous" in regard to the updates I made to the boats. My focus starting out wasn't to revamp and an already superb product, but rather to get some of the functionality and features caught up with the industry. For example things like properly insulated livewells and coolers, bidirectional indirect compartment lighting that doesn't blind you but allows you to see every corner without shadows, bow switch panels with high-head buttons that allow you to easily control stuff with your feet while fishing, one-touch motor trim, dimmers for cockpit and bow lighting to help in low light, proper clean power wiring for modern sonar units and electronic modules, etc. etc. etc. The list of improvements is literally a mile long, but would I consider any of them tremendous? Probably not. Are they significant; do they improve the ownership experience? Absolutely.
    - Heath

17. Member
    ​​
    All depends what the boat manufacture is looking to do. Build few high quality custom boats like Stroker, Allison, and Built or mass produce cookie cutter boats.
    Getting dealers involved in custom boat sales just adds overhead to the end cost of the finished product.
    If no problem with outboard supplies for the orders that had been taken its just a matter of putting in the hours required to finish the orders.
    People or "workers" are a problem for all hands on type work these days, covid and a few other things are truly killing this country.

I truly do not think anybody could make "Gambler" any bigger than it was with Bob Ackerbloom, even his son brought down Gambler/Sterling.
    Just my $0.02 since owning a Gambler going back to 1990 183, currently in a Sterling 2010.

Slow production times do not seem to be hurting Mercury(53 weeks) or Yamaha(70 weeks) unless you are a big name outboard buyer.
    Howie was a work of art - or something. Best used as a door stop.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yupitsme View Post
    ​​

Howie was a work of art - or something. Best used as a door stop.
    Nills was who I was referring to, "Nlills' Notches" was a great improvement to an outstanding hull! NOT!!!!!!

19. Member
    EXACTLY!!!!!!

"You can sheer a sheep many times, but only slaughter it once!"

Heath, you are a class act and any company that acquires you is very lucky. Hate to hear that Gambler is no longer that company.