1995 487VS Comanche questions!!

New to me ranger, 1995 Ranger 487VS Comanche with a 95 Mercury 200 Blackmax EFI. First what kind of hole shot is everyone getting on this? This one seems really slow on the hole shot planes very easily but don’t fire out like a rocket. Second I notice there is a hole in the top and bottom of the setback that looks like it should probably have a small plug in each?? Are they supposed to be plugged?

2. Member
    Put a 6 inch jack plate on and it will have better hole shot. Post a photo of the holes you are talking about.

3. Member
    The hole is to allow water to drain. Normal and keep them open.

Very nice ride and good luck!
    It's not what you can take with you,

It's what you leave behind.

4. Member
    Had same boat. The 2.5 is weak down low. I had a 6” plate also. A whale tail makes a difference. The 3l opti’s are stronger.

Ok what prop are you guys running on them?

As mentioned, the 2.5’s are not that stout on the bottom end. A 6” jack plate will make some difference. A 24p Trophy prop will make a difference as well. It was mentioned above about a whale tail. If you were to go that route, I got one I’ll sell you cheap!

Thanks for the info.. I’ll look into a jack plate.. gonna pass on whale tail for now

8. Member
    Last boat. I was running a 24 trophy. The tail made the biggest difference. It doesn’t have to be that big

Quote Originally Posted by 1ranger487vs View Post
    Last boat. I was running a 24 trophy. The tail made the biggest difference. It doesn’t have to be that big
    What top end speeds were you getting? Mine currently has a 4 blade trophy 24 on it

10. Member
    What kind of RPM are you getting at takeoff before it gets up? Some more prop venting might be called for.

11. Member
    The 2.5 weak bottom is the culprit. Mine would run 62 at 5500 on a good day. When the merc ate a piston I put a 3.1 Yamaha 200 on it. Same prop great hole shot and 64 on gps

12. Member
    Oh and no tail

13. Member
    I have the 488 dual console version with a Merc 200 EFI. I run a 25p Trophy with large vents in all but one that is completely open and mine will rocket you out of the hole with no issues. I dont run a jackplate either.