Hydraulic jackplates on BC store

So, for my '03 Cougar I have issues with the 6" jackplate and hydraulic steering lines hitting the top of the transom when motor tilted up. So, I am thinking real hard at installing a hydraulic jackplate. Basscat says that I shouldn't go thicker than 6" but all they sell on the website is 8" plates. That and since they use a 6 hole plate bolted to transom I am limited to purchasing from them. I'm sure I can get by with 8" but will it cancel BC hull warranty?
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

If your current setup is working I'd call BCB and ask about a 6" first then the 8" and hull warranty.

If you go to an 8" you may have to change more than just the plate. (lines, hoses and such)

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"
    Own the Champ! Life Long Petty Fan!

2003 ChampioN 2006 250 Merc. XB, Prop By Mark C.
    2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

3. Member
    Something that might work is adding a tilt limiter to the engine to prevent you from tilting too high. If you could find a sweet spot where in certain situations, like installing the transom saver, you have enough tilt and nothing is binding, then it might work.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

4. Member
    I have a mercury switch wired into the trim system now that limits the upward trim from the bow and throttle control only. It still allows full tilt from motor switch but I still can barely get enough tilt to use the transom saver. This was an issue on my earlier PII and it is an issue on this motor. And yes, it was an issue when I bought it from previous owner. It's hard to believe that BC sent it out this way and I don't know if the ram was replaced at some point in its life.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

5. Member
    You can call bobs and have them send you one but you will more than likely have a good wait for it. I’d just run with what BCB is telling you.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FeFanatic View Post
    So, for my '03 Cougar I have issues with the 6" jackplate and hydraulic steering lines hitting the top of the transom when motor tilted up. So, I am thinking real hard at installing a hydraulic jackplate. Basscat says that I shouldn't go thicker than 6" but all they sell on the website is 8" plates. That and since they use a 6 hole plate bolted to transom I am limited to purchasing from them. I'm sure I can get by with 8" but will it cancel BC hull warranty?
    Call them but I'm 98% sure an 8" won't void your warranty. If you don't want an Atlas you can get a 6 hole Bob's from anyone that sells Bob's. I've gotten 3 over the years (2 8", 1 6") from Scott Martin when he lists them here on BBC. I had the same problem on my old '96 Eyra that got worse when I switched to hydraulic steering...8" was the only thing I could do and it resolved the problem.

I just ordered an 8” Bob from Rich at Hydrilla Gear. It was a good deal too. Talk with BCB on what is best for your rig then order or through them or Rich.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

What we warranty on the Lifetime Warranty is a 6 bolt BCB pattern plate. It does not have to be ours, though it does have to be 6 bolts on 225 and higher. The 8” offsets are fine for steering clearance. The old Teleflex systems were a T connector and front mount, while the newer systems are elbows into the cylinder and a swivel plate, which creates the clearance issue. The new systems require the 8” plates and they are acceptable in the Lifetime Warranty.

If your lines are hitting the transom I am wondering if your motor is too low.
    Mine was the same way when I bought it and is also a 2003 model with a 6" plate.
    When I bought it the bleed fittings had been hitting and scarring up the alum angle that is on the edge of the transom. When I measured my motor height it was like 5" below pad. so I raised it
    Check your prop to pad I am betting your motor is way too low.

Early hydraulic steering systems were quite different than todays. Thus this is a part issue which requires design changes, not only engine height.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    If your lines are hitting the transom I am wondering if your motor is too low.
    Mine was the same way when I bought it and is also a 2003 model with a 6" plate.
    When I bought it the bleed fittings had been hitting and scarring up the alum angle that is on the edge of the transom. When I measured my motor height it was like 5" below pad. so I raised it
    Check your prop to pad I am betting your motor is way too low.