Thread: Tilt/trim stuck

Tilt/trim stuck

2018 150 four stroke. Engine will not go down past 3/4 up. I can lift it up by hand and it will hold but as soon as you trim up or down it falls back to the same position. The manual relief valve will open but will not allow the engine to drop. I can pick it up and lock it up with the manual relief open or closed. I have to pick it up to get it off the lock it will hold but as soon as I trim up or down it falls back the same position. Any ideas?
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    Is the engine lever lock bar engaged?

3. Member
    No, I can manually lift the motor to get it back to the lock. I did that to be able to put more fluid in. But Still does the same thing

4. Member
    I don't know for sure,but maybe it's an upper limit sensor thing preventing it from coming down.I know you have to raise it pretty high to add fluid to the reservoir. Hopefully Don will see your post and reply.

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Is the upper cross pin and set screw intact?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Everything looks to be normal. I can lift it up by hand and the ram extends up. When I go down it just seems to hit a wall at the same position every time. That’s moving it by hand. It will not go up or down with the switches.

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Perhaps you can get a better (high-resolution) picture of what is going on? The small (thumbnail) really doesn't show enough detail to be of much help.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rugerboy View Post
    Everything looks to be normal. I can lift it up by hand and the ram extends up. When I go down it just seems to hit a wall at the same position every time. That’s moving it by hand. It will not go up or down with the switches.
    I get the impression that you aren’t really sure about the set screw.
    2022 Ranger Z520R, 2022 Mercury 250 ProXS 4s
    Dual 16” Lowrance Live’s at console, 12” Live with Active Target, Garmin 8612 and Livescope, and Humminbird 12” Mega 360 at the bow
    Lowrance Ghost TM

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Has there been some type of underwater strike, OR collosion between gearcase/prop/engine and a fixed object (even while on the trailer)?

Sounds like a memory piston is jammed in the cylinder...