Ultrex 24 V iPilot Lithium Battery Size Selection

I have been researching lithium batteries to replace my LA trolling motor batteries. I do not typically fish 8+ hrs in very windy or high current as a general rule, but do use spot lock.

I have 2 31's and in almost 2 years have never run them dead. So I have been considering replacing them with 50 ah vs 100 ah, the cost savings would be a great bonus.

Then I ran across this:
    https://minnkota-help.johnsonoutdoor...tery-Selection

My main areas for concern are:

1 Required Continuous Discharge Amperage 56

2 Power output max at 85%, so I shouldn't run my motor at 10?

3 it seems the motors were designed to run on LA batteries.

Are there any reported issues when using lithium batteries, I did not find discussions on this as there were on using lithium starting batteries on merc 4s as opposed to AGM.

2. Member
    You won't find any discussion on issues with Lithiums and trolling motors, because there really have not been any. Some people have had issues with cheap lithium batteries from Amazon, but those were battery issues in general and not necessarily related to trolling motors.

You can go a couple of different directions on buying batteries. One, buy from a sponsor on BBC and be rest assured you are getting a good battery that will work great and have good support. Shop around on Amazon or other places and, maybe, save a few dollars. Many have done the latter and have had no issues.

A group 31 lead acid (not AGM) is comparable in usable AH to about a 60ah lithium. A group 31 AGM is comparable to about a 80ah lithium.

You can run your motor at 100%. Just don't do it for extended (10 minutes or more I should think) periods. I run by 36v Ulterra at 100% quite often for short spurts of a couple of minutes here and there and no issues over 3+ years with Lithium. And at times we troll at 1-3mph for hours walleye fishing and never any problems at all.

3. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    wouldnt go with 50s def would stay 60 ah or above on a 24 volt. A 60 ah lithium is pretty comparable to the best group 29 battery out there . A 100 ah will far exceed a group 31
    dont worry about the max output 85% deal i have ru a ultrex for 3 years now on lithium never below speed 9 or 10 90 to 100% and has run flawlessly.

Id be happy to go over our powerhouse options with you as well as provide BBC discount

4. Member
    When I bought the 60ah lithiums I am running it was because of exactly what you noticed, a 56ah discharge. That told me to stay away from 50ah as that will create heat when at max. draw and that isn’t good!