Thread: Still Shopping

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Still Shopping

So still thinking of a new tin boat maybe this year maybe early next and really having some issues with decisions. Here are some pros and cons for each. If I am wrong let me know or if you have different feedback I would appreciate it.

Tracker 195: Pros: Love the layout and storage and price, lots of choices used Cons: No jackplate option (I think it voids the warranty) no padded hull
    Xpress Prox18 with a 150: Pros: Jackplate for sure, .0125 aluminum, Seadeck option, and rod layout Cons: Does not seem to have a lot of front storage, options prices are set by dealer if new, can't find any new at dealers (have to be ordered from Xpress through a dealer), can't find any used
    Ranger: Pros: Lots of options if new, a lot of used at good prices, Padded hull Cons: I hate the center rod storage. HATE IT! Almost a deal breaker
    Vexus 1980: Not really thinking of one
    Crestliner MX19: Pros Look Great, I Like the layout Cons: can't find used, $$$$ at bare bones

2. Member
    I love the centre rod storage, keep looking until you find one that says buy me. IMO The "pad" on the Ranger tin is a joke. My little 115 doesn't have the power to keep a boat on pad and I'd say the 198 with a 150 is in the same preverbal boat. I am running the same speeds as others post with their 'Pad" 188's and I have no jack plate running the old standard gear case.

I looked over a new Avid recently at a salt water boat show. They sure make a good looking boat but I have no idea about them beyond that. If I were buying I'd sure give them a closer look. If you want to drop the coin Gator Trax will make what ever you like.

https://www.gatortraxboats.com/

I can tell you for having an MX19 after almost a year (although I only have 10 hours on it), if you do not like the center rod locker of the Ranger, you definitely will not like the center storage of the MX19.

4. Member
    I love center rod storage...
    With things as they are right now, I would buy Xpress or Vexus....probably Xpress --- I like Ranger design but who knows what is going on with quality since JM got his hands on them and moved the factory.
    RT188
    I LIKE boats...BUT I LOVE PLANES
    Oh yeah.... I love the RT188 too.

5. Member
    The 150 on a RT198 will absolutely get it on pad...and keep it there. With a light load and just me in the boat, it will lift almost too much...have to actually trim it down to get the optimal performance. Yes, with a full load - crappie rigs, 3 (over) grown men - it doesn't lift as much but it will still "get on pad".

6. iNCORRECT pOLITICALLY
    For me the rod storage is usually the deal breaker. I've found the Xpress X18 offers the best out of most of the 18' bass rigs because it looks like you can just put socks on all the rods and pile them in there without a stupid organizer to deal with. Truth be told, if the rod organizer can be removed leaving a big gaping hole that would put a lot more boats on the table. Looks like they changed the layout on the Tracker 195 but if you can put rods in both side compartments that would be the best when it comes to storage.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

No one likes a pot licker or GPS pirate. FIND YOUR OWN FISH!

7. Member
    I wish Tucker Carlson would do an hour long show on people that think a freak'n 50k jon boat is normal to catch a sunfish. God help us.

8. Member
    Your comment is both offensive and ignorant and it insinuates that it is "normal" to spend $100k on a boat to catch bass. Not everybody can afford a $100k boat. Even those of us who CAN afford a $100k boat may decide that's not the best way to spend our money and that aluminum boats these days are not the "jon" boats from the early days. I, like many on here, could buy any boat I want...and pay cash for it. My RT198 is a fantastic fishing boat. I've owned and fished a lot of tournaments out of 20-21' fiberglass boats with 250's that would run 70+ mph. That's not the kind of fishing I do now...I take my kids/their friends/my wife/other family members and we pleasure fish exclusively. My boat does everything (and more) that I need. It's got plenty of room, is comfortable with even 3 grown men in it, rides and handles rough water well...as good as a $100k fiberglass boat? Of course not...but I know its limitations and don't even care to be on the water when the conditions are bad.

Would love to know if you've ever even been in one of the newer Ranger/Vexus/Avid/fill in the blank brands. If not, you should keep your opinions of those kinds of boats to yourself. Expensive, yes. Overpriced? One could argue. But that "class" of boats have allowed a lot of folks like me - who love to fish and share those times and experiences with friends and family - an opportunity to do just that without sacrificing my family's financial well-being in the process. And again, I could buy any boat I want...

Reb

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by n2ratfishin View Post
    I love the centre rod storage
    Quote Originally Posted by FloridaFlyer View Post
    I love center rod storage...
    I love my Crestliner Bass Hawk, but don't like the center rod storage. What do you guys like about them?

10. Member
    Ease of getting my rods in and out without the consoles in the way.

11. Member
    Your comment is both offensive and ignorant and it insinuates that it is "normal" to spend $100k on a boat to catch bass. Not everybody can afford a $100k boat. Even those of us who CAN afford a $100k boat may decide that's not the best way to spend our money and that aluminum boats these days are not the "jon" boats from the early days. I, like many on here, could buy any boat I want...and pay cash for it. My RT198 is a fantastic fishing boat. I've owned and fished a lot of tournaments out of 20-21' fiberglass boats with 250's that would run 70+ mph. That's not the kind of fishing I do now...I take my kids/their friends/my wife/other family members and we pleasure fish exclusively. My boat does everything (and more) that I need. It's got plenty of room, is comfortable with even 3 grown men in it, rides and handles rough water well...as good as a $100k fiberglass boat? Of course not...but I know its limitations and don't even care to be on the water when the conditions are bad.

Would love to know if you've ever even been in one of the newer Ranger/Vexus/Avid/fill in the blank brands. If not, you should keep your opinions of those kinds of boats to yourself. Expensive, yes. Overpriced? One could argue. But that "class" of boats have allowed a lot of folks like me - who love to fish and share those times and experiences with friends and family - an opportunity to do just that without sacrificing my family's financial well-being in the process. And again, I could buy any boat I want...

Reb

Sorry my observation went right over your head..............a bass is a sunfish............look it up...............and I remember when the guy that ruined bass fishing for me ( Ray Scott ) sold Bassmaster Classic rigs for under 30K .......and we found that stupid as we could catch a limit of big bass in a 10K rig just as easy. What's happened is too many fishermen are fishing too much and to keep up with what we considered a bad day guys need too much boat and too much technology just to even come close. What will take to catch 20 pounds in 20 years.............a sub with torpedoes?

12. Member
    Not sure who this is directed at. Never said anything about cost other than the Crestliner and that is more about how expensive it is to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebelkris76 View Post

Reb

13. Member
    It was directed to "Nat's Dad"...sorry for the confusion

14. Member
    This is just a personal opinion... but I think people carry too many rods. I can get all I need in the center rod box in my RT188. I do put sleeves on them to protect the eyelets. With sleeves, you can get two rods to a tube....Buddy. that is a lot of rods. I carry six to eight casting rigs and 3 or 4 spinning rigs. You might need more....I don’t.... I really don't use the ones I have...they just ride around most of the time. LOL.
    RT188
    I LIKE boats...BUT I LOVE PLANES
    Oh yeah.... I love the RT188 too.

15. Member
    Agree 100% FF, two per tube (with sleeves) and it’ll hold 14-16 rods. Way more than I need!

16. Member
    I own a 2021 X 18 Pro and everything under the front deck is storage. I use the port side to store rods and have put 20 in it with room for more. As for availability the X 18 is hard to find, H 18 is more common but a lot different layout. Did have to order mine and the dealer was great to work and am happy with my choice.

17. Member
    Really like the x18 and 19's but i think new out of my price range, but definitely hard to find.
    Quote Originally Posted by fishingram24 View Post
    I own a 2021 X 18 Pro and everything under the front deck is storage. I use the port side to store rods and have put 20 in it with room for more. As for availability the X 18 is hard to find, H 18 is more common but a lot different layout. Did have to order mine and the dealer was great to work and am happy with my choice.

18. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    Ranger pad hull all the way Brother, see below...!

And just dismiss those two goof-balls above (Gnat's dad and Rat) as nothing more than the nonsensical raving of lunatic minds...

I'm joking..... or am I acting
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop
    82# MotorGuide Tour Pro TM
    Fishes as good as anything out there, with the TM down...

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FloridaFlyer View Post
    This is just a personal opinion... but I think people carry too many rods…
    LOL.
    I watched a video of Ott Defoe doing a walk through of his new Nitro. He commented he typically carries about 30 rods when he goes out. Makes me feel downright frugal m

20. Member
    My Rt188p with the 115pro xs ct will get on , and stay on pad just fine. That being said it does not behave like a high dollar pad hull glass boat.
    I liked the layout of the p series rt better. Also to me the 188p rides much better on rough water than the rt188.
    2021 rt188p , Mercury 115 Pro XS CT , Croxton Razor 4XLR 22 , Z lock 4” jack plate , 8’ power pole blades

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast