Question for the Pantera owners

Have a question for the owners of the newer model P2s and Classic boats
    Do you wish you would have bought something bigger.
    I have an older model Cougar and have been looking at maybe going to a P2 SP or a classic.

2. Member
    Not at all. I had both a Puma and a Cougar before I scaled down. For my age, fishing style, and waters that I fish, my previous P2 and my current Classic suit me perfectly.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

3. Member
    I seriously looked at the Caracal last year because I wanted/needed a little more stability at the bow. With 10+ rods on the deck, there is little room for a mistake because of the narrow deck on my P2. Don't get me wrong, I love my P2 and have no complaints except; as we begin to age, our balance and maneuverability tends to decrease and a wider deck enhances the stability of the bow. The Caracal is only a few inches longer, but way wider up front. Take a look at one and you will immediately see the difference.
    Bay Rat
    Basscat Pantera II
    200 Optimax
    HDS 9's
    MK Ultrex

4. Member
    I’ve had a few p2s and then a caracal which I loved. The move up helped me because of a head injury and a bad bout with covid and balance issues. Well we finally sold the property that we had and moved into a condo.Now no where to kept the caracal I sold it. (Bad mistake) ended up buying a pole barn down the road and ended up with another P2.just couldn’t get comfortable with the boat after the caracal.Didn’t realize the difference between the two with my balance and excess room.So I called Sherms Marine and Sherm had just what i needed so I’m back in a new caracal. Sure would like to take some time and thank Sherm of Sherms Marine. Don’t get wrong the p2 is an awesome boat and if I had no problems I would have kept the p2. Just have to weigh your options.we are getting older..sorry for the long post and sorry for any typos. Typing is not my thing.

5. Member
    Luke I think you mite miss your cougar.

6. Member
    No, I've always wanted a 19.5' with a 200hp. I'm perfectly happy in my Classic.

7. Member
    I love my P2, but people need to realize the front end of the P2 and Sabre are very different from the other two series. A P2 with a Classic front end would probably be my perfect boat.
    2021 BassCatt Pantera II
    200 Pro XS(3B056653)
    Motorguide Tour Pro

8. Member
    I have had 2 cougars in the past great boats ,went to a P2 this time i have no problems fishing from the front handling is a dream quick boat the only thing is you should be careful when your getting on or off the boat in the front very tight. but other than that great boat. my P2 is a 2021 . I think the boat wouldn't be for a real big person because of the seat and console is close

9. Member
    There are pros and cons for me with my front deck of the Pantera II. If I am not fishing rough water and do not have the seat in, then I have no problems with the front deck, no matter how many rods I have on the deck, the middle section has plenty of room to stand and I can move straight back to the seats. If I am not actively on the trolling motor then I typically stand where the seat would be and I am comfortable. This is 90% of the time I fish.

But I am not comfortable on the Trolling Motor in rough water without the seat to lean on. Once the seat is on and rods are on the deck there is not much room to maneuver from the front to the back without stepping on rods. Obviously this is first world problems and it could be fixed if I only kept rods on one side of the deck and used the other side to move - that's not how I fish, so I deal.
    2014 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury ProXs 200

10. Member
    Luke ive been debating the same thing. I have an 04 cougar and really looking at the classic pretty hard. Personally I like the deck of the classic alot better than the P2. Im going to make arrangments to fish and drive it before i make my finally decision. Good luck!!1

11. Member
    If you can spend a few more bucks the caracal is something to consider

I actually regretted going up to a Cougar from multiple 19 footers. I have had an (old style 1996) classic, a Pantera 4 and a 2004 cougar FTD. I much preferred the P4 with the 200 on it. much more nimble and more fun to drive. rode just about as good to me as the cougar and in really rough water I had more control over it. I have been in a caracal and it felt its too big for me and I think the p2 is a smidge small for me. The new classic should fit my bill (but I need to ride in one first) unless I can find another p4 again.
    "Any pizza is a personal pizza if you believe in yourself"

13. Member
    I came out of a 520 ranger. I bought Cat purely because I wanted a boat that would fit in my 3rd garage that had at least a 200 hp engine. I have 21 foot 11 inches to deal with. That narrows the field. I like the boat, it's fun to drive. It doesn't fish like my ranger with the tm down but few do. I got smarter with my storage and what I keep in boat. I it gets what I need done done. I would buy another one. 2021 p2.

14. Member
    And if you need 10 rods on the deck you need to learn to fish.... lol

15. Member
    I had an 09 Cougar FTD and now have a 2020 Classic. The new wide body classic is wider then the Cougar at the front deck. I would not go back to a narrower boat. I would consider the Puma, Lynx, Caracal because I want a wider deck. I am too getting older and need a wider deck to move around. The classic is great in so many ways, it's nimble, fast, and easy to fish out of and frankly the amount of fuel usage between the older mercury and the four stroke seems to better to me. People say that the 30 gallon tank of fuel in the Classic isn't big enough, but I have not any issues with the size. I also like that I can run the 80 volt trolling motor and don't need an 110 volt and carry one less battery. No regrets at all going to a 19 foot hull.

16. Scraps
    Something I miss about my ol' Ranger is the little step area for the front deck. The cutout area where you can sit down to retie. Never considered it, but with the full front deck, with the huge center compartment open there's no place to sit when retying. Yes, I didn't take the advice to at least go and sit in one before plunking down $50k.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

17. Moderator
    I thought you just repowered? I assumed that meant you love your cougar?

If it were me, I'd get a Caracal with a Yamaha and flash it. One very nice setup.
    2022 Basscat Jaquar
    Mercury 300 Pro Xs

19. Moderator
    NM, just saw your post in the Moderator forum. Damn.

20. Kansas Bass Club Moderator
    Just read the royal screw job you took from that place on your engine. If I was you and really liked the boat and everything still worked well on it I’d sell that engine and repower it again. You are still going to be money ahead over a new 50k plus boat. Your boat itself is probably paid for. Find an older EFI merc and buy it. Those engines are practically bullet proof compared to the epa mandated garbage they push now!