Anyone know a better product to use to fix rod tips?

The cheap rod tip fixer upers at Walmart and BPS suck for me... Seems like they hold up for 2 fish and then start twisting.. Any good products?

2. Member
    I don't think their glue is very good. I bought a some high temp rod glue from Mudhole.

How are you applying your glue. I had a problems when I was applying it to the rod itself. Now I cut small slivers and put them in the tube, then heat the tube up then put on the rod tip.

3. Member
    Check out Rod Teck. I bought a nice package from them at a fishing show. Has everything you need to fix a rod tip in a convenient package.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtranger View Post
    I don't think their glue is very good. I bought a some high temp rod glue from Mudhole.

How are you applying your glue. I had a problems when I was applying it to the rod itself. Now I cut small slivers and put them in the tube, then heat the tube up then put on the rod tip.
    This is how I do it. Get yourself a tip sizing tool while you're at it and then you'll know what size tube you need to order in the future.

5. Member
    I’ve had good luck with the hot melt from mudhole. But if you want the best hot melt made get the kimsha quick stick point glue in the link below. You can find it other places as well. I shot competition archery for a long time and it is the best hot melt for securing inserts and tips to arrows. It also works great for rod tips. It holds up forever on arrow tips, and I’ve been using it for rod tips for the past 10 years for repairs and building rods and it has never failed me. It’s just a hot melt glue, but for whatever reason it seems to be way stronger and last longer than anything I’ve used. I typically just keep this glue on hand, one stick will last forever for rod tips. Then buy the appropriate rod tip from a rod supply company.

https://www.3riversarchery.com/kimsha-quick-stick-point-glue.html

6. Member
    I use Bohning Archery Ferr-L-Tite. It's hot melt, real easy, and one stick will last forever.(about $6)

7. Member
    Now I cut small slivers and put them in the tube, then heat the tube up then put on the rod tip.
    I do it like this too. I use the Fuji hot melt. Gorilla makes a hot melt stick also that I bet would be very good, as most of the products that I have used from them have been.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

8. Member
    I’m guessing it’s an application issue as well. Those generic tip repair kits tend to have bigger tubes than standard (to fit more rods). You do have to fill the tube up with slivers first then heat, put on and let the excess come out. If you just smear some on the tip, most will just push out instead of getting in the tube (and that tube would be a loose fit to begin with).

I have not had any issues with the glue that comes with the kit, but is is softer, so cutting slivers is a little more awkward.

9. Member
    Everyone makes hot melt glue, the trick is to get one that will hot melt in your hot car trunk, window, or rod locker. Hence the need for the good stuff designed for that purpose, one stick will last the average builder years and is easy to store.

10. Member
    I use the granules that St Croix uses. Much easier and rock solid. One trick for those that use the glue sticks is get you a small square tile from the box stores like lowes from the flooring dept or a square piece of glass. Melt and smear your glue on it then take a razor blade and slice it into slivers.

I have used super glue to fix some rod tips before.

I do the slivers too.