Question 96 225 EFI question

I recently purchased a used boat (93 Ranger 492vs) with a 1996 Mariner Magnum 3.0 225 EFI Serial# OG350795. 93 hours on the motor. I have 2 questions.

1. I wanted to get a general consensus of the reliability of this particular motor. I haven't run one like it before. Had 2 Opti's previously on other boats. It starts super easy, had good even compression and idles super smooth.

2. I looked over the thread titled "batteries that meet the requirements" and got a little confused. If I read correctly, I should be picking from the wet cell batteries? Reason for the confusion is based on the year, I'm assuming my engine is stator, but when I had the cowling off I thought I saw an alternator at the top above the fly wheel. The battery that came in it was a group 27 with CCA: 600 and MCA: 750, RC: 160, so its looking like that will need to get replaced right from the jump. I just want to ensure I replace it with the right battery.

2. Member
    If your engine has a belt driven alternator you can use an AGM, if not, wet cell only. If any doubt, post a pic for confirmation.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    You have a belt-driven alternator.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Thank you for clearing that up. Looks like I'm shopping for an AGM.