Water Pressure Gauge

So, I've owned 4 glass boats since 2002. 18' with a 175 up to 20' with a 250. All came with a water pressure gauge standard. I've ordered a Puma STS that, I've recently discovered, will not be equipped with a WPG. I was surprised. This will be my first boat equipped with a hydraulic jack plate. I feel like a WPG would be handy. Am I over thinking this? The boat will be powered by an XS 4 stroke 250. Thoughts?

Did you order Smartcraft gouges? If so, water pressure would be displayed.
    2022 Basscat Jaquar
    Mercury 300 Pro Xs

3. Member
    It depends on how your dealer orders it. My Puma STS has a water pressure gauge.

I also ordered it with a Mercury Monitor, which I discovered was not configured to show water pressure.
    2023 Puma STS

4. Member
    Invest in the Smartcraft gauges. You will not be disappointed.

The MercMonitor does have a water pressure gauge in the LCD window.

6. Member
    No smart craftgauges ordered. I didn't realize a water pressure gauge was not in the gauge package until recently. I should have confirmed. Just figured it was an essential piece of equipment and would be part of the deal. My fault. Hopefully an analog gauge or smartcraft can be easily installed at the dealer.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    The MercMonitor does have a water pressure gauge in the LCD window.
    It certainly has the ability to show water pressure - but mine is not configured or hooked up to show water pressure. It is blank at all times. I was kind of disappointed, but figured it was just something else that I had to order/request and didn't know about.
    2023 Puma STS

8. Member
    How would I make sure that my MercMonitor will be configured at the factory for water pressure on my ordered Puma STS? Thank you!

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kbm View Post
    How would I make sure that my MercMonitor will be configured at the factory for water pressure on my ordered Puma STS? Thank you!
    Just tell your dealer what you want, and they should make it happen. They will need to make sure the digital water pressure sensor is installed and hooked up. I just didn't know I had to request it, and it's one of those things I didn't notice until my first time out on the water.
    2023 Puma STS

10. Member
    Does your motor have a low water pick up? If not then you have to have a water pressure gauge. I've seen too many blown motors that overheated after a hydraulic jack plate install.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

TNReb,

We believe the SmartCraft Monitor should show the same as the SmartCraft SC 1000 gauges, as they use the same output. Have your dealership check the sender on the water pressure and the digital to analog wire connection.

Quote Originally Posted by TNReb View Post
    It certainly has the ability to show water pressure - but mine is not configured or hooked up to show water pressure. It is blank at all times. I was kind of disappointed, but figured it was just something else that I had to order/request and didn't know about.

TNReb,
    Mercury 4 strokes do not come with a digital water pressure sender. They do come with an analog sensor which is why you will not have a WP reading on a Mercmonitor or Smartcraft gauges. You can keep the WP analog signal and add a digital sender or replace the analog with a digital. Both jobs are VERY EASY and will take about 5 minutes to complete. Don Weed over on the Mercury Board can set you up with the proper parts.

To the OP, You should order a Mercmonitor with the boat. They are very useful. They will show RPM, WP(with the proper sender), Oil Press/Temp, and many more engine parameters. Most importantly, the Mercmonitor will display alarms in plain language as they occur. It can save a trip to the mechanic.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    TNReb,

We believe the SmartCraft Monitor should show the same as the SmartCraft SC 1000 gauges, as they use the same output. Have your dealership check the sender on the water pressure and the digital to analog wire connection.
    Im probably not being clear. I don’t have the SmartCraft gauges. I have an analog water pressure gauge.
    2023 Puma STS

If you have an analog gauge, then the digital sender requires a second sender to be activated. The digital is not necessary and the old wand style pressure gauge works great.