Hydraulic steering bleed

S/N: 2B118051

I recently installed the mercury uflex hydraulic steering on my boat to replace the old worn out seastar system.

Trying to get all the air out of this thing is a pain. First I hook up the hydraulic fluid to the helm fill tube. Then, i'm using a piece of clear hose attached to both bleeders, opening the bleeders to allow the flow of hydraulic fluid. Turning the wheel back and forth as shown on a few videos I've watched, seeing the air coming back out the helm. When I dont see anymore air I close the bleeders and take the tube off, then disconnect the jug at the helm. Everything is solid, come back the next day and wiggle my motor back and forth and its loose. Apparently I am not getting all the air out, I have been through this 3 times now.

Any help appreciated, thanks!

2. Member
    Put the clear bleed tubes in a container of steering fluid. The ends must be under the surface of the fluid at all times. I hang a bottle upside down with the pointy nozzle pointing down and cut the bottom off so I can add and remove fluid, and put the clear tubing on the nozzle. Then I block the ram from going all the way to the end of the actuator with a piece of split PVC. I then turn the helm that direction and loosen the bleeder. Continue to cycle the helm in that direction until there are NO bubbles coming up the tube. Repeat with other side.

Sometimes it's not necessary to block the ram just turn it back and forth.

Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    Put the clear bleed tubes in a container of steering fluid. The ends must be under the surface of the fluid at all times. I hang a bottle upside down with the pointy nozzle pointing down and cut the bottom off so I can add and remove fluid, and put the clear tubing on the nozzle. Then I block the ram from going all the way to the end of the actuator with a piece of split PVC. I then turn the helm that direction and loosen the bleeder. Continue to cycle the helm in that direction until there are NO bubbles coming up the tube. Repeat with other side.

Sometimes it's not necessary to block the ram just turn it back and forth.
    better not to block and leave bleaders cracked just little. This will alow rhe air to escape easly and fluid slowly. Repeatadly turn it lock to lock and do recheck after it settles for a while
    I have a tee arangment that I use, that a fill bottle is atached to, alows air to escape and fluid to be pulled back in
    Thank You Leon Pugh

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    PLEASE don't use "TUBE" videos as your instructional guide- especially for something as critical as steering. And you can't just connect the two bleeders together with a hose, if you do you never expel the air!

There should be instructions in that kit, but there are also instructions referenced in the FAQ section under the common-topics/questions.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    There were no instructions in the kit for such, unfortunately.

Alternatively, I was unable to open any of the links in the faqs for bleeding my hydraulic steering

Marinetech tools has a pretty slick setup for bleeding seastar units, don't know if it will fit uflex or not.

Honora Primum Vel Nullum Omnin Honorem

Quote Originally Posted by Bryanmc57 View Post
    Marinetech tools has a pretty slick setup for bleeding seastar units, don't know if it will fit uflex or not.
    It will
    Thank You Leon Pugh

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor