cold starting issuses

I went fishing with a buddy and we almost didn't make it out because his engine wouldn't crank.
    After many many spin overs it finally fired and off we went. Rest of the day it fired immediately.
    He said its been doing that lately. Ball pumped tight. Thinking fuel pump maybe? Lossing prime.
    Any thoughts are appreciated. I just wanted to help him out if I could.
    I'm sorry I don't have a ser no. but its 1990 Mercury 70 hp.
    2004 Stratos 285 Pro XL 150 Hp Optimax OT862351

2. Member
    make sure choke /primer is working listen for click when choke is pushed , if fuel pump was culprit how would it run all day hmmmmmm ?????
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    make sure choke /primer is working listen for click when choke is pushed , if fuel pump was culprit how would it run all day hmmmmmm ?????
    thanks . I bet that's going to be his issue . i should have thought of it . in fact one of the first things i told him was choke must not be working right .. then i forgot and started thinking of a more complicated solution.
    2004 Stratos 285 Pro XL 150 Hp Optimax OT862351

4. Member
    no click at valve = test for voltage from key switch
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................