4 stroke oil in a 2 stroke Etec

Good morning all. Well this may be an old "idiot" question that has been batted around a long time but here goes. I just bought a boat with a 2008 150 horse Etec on it. I noticed on a colder day at the ramp it was having a tough time staying at idle but ran great at speed in our test run. The boat has sat for a good bit though. New fuel apparently but when I got it home I started pouring through everything and noticed he had 4 stroke oil in the a compartment. He says the fuel was added to with new fuel in the past day or so, but the oil may be old and it may be wrong so I was doing to empty it and refill. So... Will 4 stroke damage a 2 stroke motor?

2. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Absolutely 4 stroke oil is too thick to flow properly thru the oil pump. You need to look at the oil setting tag on the motor to see if it is set for TC-W3 or XD-100.

3. Member
    Got it. Will do. Fortunately I do not think it was run very long on this oil by the PO. We will drain and check settings. So to be honest I have always just bought 2 Cycle and did not think about settings on the tag. Is there different 2 cycle oil based on TC vs XD. I had to do a 2nd re-ring on an optimax over stuff like this so you have my FULL attention.

4. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    TC-w3 setting you can use XD-50 or any TC-W3 oil. When it is set to XD-100 you can only run Xd-100 which is a full synthetic. Setting has to be changed using a lap top and Evinrude diags.

5. Member
    Very helpful yet again. Thank you. I will check.