Marty Donlea

2008 225 ProXS Not idling

I have a 2008 Mercury 225 PROSX serial # 1B584943
    It's hard to start and when it starts it won't stay idling. It's runs great when you step on it. Shut it down after running for awhile and still doesn't want to idle. Then it's really hard to start back up...I'm new to the Mercury motors. Looking for some help..

Thanks..

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Need to start with some basics:

-Compression
    -Spark
    -Fuel Quality, Delivery, Air/Fuel Pressure Tests (record at idle, under acceleration, and 5/10/15 seconds after shutdown)
    -Maintenance History

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Marty Donlea
    If a person had all of the stuff to get this info. would be nice. But being new to a Mercury Motor a new to me boat I just thought that someone might be able to give me some kind of idea where to look.But why ask if you don't have the equipment to do all that Don is asking. I'll just take it to the shop. Seeing Don isn't any help..

Quote Originally Posted by martyd View Post
    If a person had all of the stuff to get this info. would be nice. But being new to a Mercury Motor a new to me boat I just thought that someone might be able to give me some kind of idea where to look.But why ask if you don't have the equipment to do all that Don is asking. I'll just take it to the shop. Seeing Don isn't any help..
    Don is a huge help, provide some answers to things requested first, our hands are tied without something to start with
    Thank You Leon Pugh

5. Member
    I agree, Don and others are a huge help around here. He gave you some pointers to help you try and diagnose your motor. Not sure what your expectations were with the original post, but if you are not willing/able to turn some wrenches or invest it some basic gauges and other tools, then yes, you would be better off going to a shop. These motors have become far more advanced than the old days and it is hard to simply say what is "wrong" from a keyboard without seeing/touching the motor, lot of things could cause a poor idle.

6. Marty Donlea
    Just thought that someone might have had this problem at point and could give an answer as to what they did. Like I had this problem once and it was ???..With out have to do all of this other stuff.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by caddelma View Post
    I agree, Don and others are a huge help around here. He gave you some pointers to help you try and diagnose your motor. Not sure what your expectations were with the original post, but if you are not willing/able to turn some wrenches or invest it some basic gauges and other tools, then yes, you would be better off going to a shop. These motors have become far more advanced than the old days and it is hard to simply say what is "wrong" from a keyboard without seeing/touching the motor, lot of things could cause a poor idle.
    ^^^^^^^ agree very hard to tell,start engine for a second kill it and depress air Schrader valve on port rail look and smell for any fuel vapors
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by martyd View Post
    I'll just take the thick-skinned approach on that comment, but would strongly suggest you change your approach in the future.

If you are short of tools to check the basics, start with the diagnostic tools that most of us were born with (eyes and nose).

Pull the cowling, make a visual inspect for anything out of place or obvious.

Pump the primer bulb and watch for fuel leaks. SMELL to see if you smell fuel.

Put a flush attachment on it and see if you can start it- watch and smell for leaks or any obvious signs of a problem.

Beyond that, if you don't have tools, you'll probably be making a trip to the dealer anyway. Don't throw parts at it based on what someone else's engine needed: There are literally dozens of potential causes for your complaint.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

9. Member
    Is this a random issue? Can you use the throttle to increase the idle speed to start it and let it idle at slightly higher RPM for a few seconds and then drop it back to idle speed? Having the same random issue with my 250hp 2 stroke. All plugs , coils and fuel system seems to be fine. Runs great after getting past the random low idle/stall issue. Dealer said low quality or stale fuel can cause that.