School me on some props

New to Yamaha, just repowered with a new 250 SHO, coming from a eveinrude etec 225. Running this on a 2004 stratos 201. Came with a SHO, 25p T2 prop. Looking for a spare and maybe another prop to run and mess with after I get it broke in. I’ve heard turbo, scorpion, fury, tempest, bravo or just find another t1 or t2. Any suggestions, tips, pros cons…

Quote Originally Posted by WVTundra View Post
    New to Yamaha, just repowered with a new 250 SHO, coming from a eveinrude etec 225. Running this on a 2004 stratos 201. Came with a SHO, 25p T2 prop. Looking for a spare and maybe another prop to run and mess with after I get it broke in. I’ve heard turbo, scorpion, fury, tempest, bravo or just find another t1 or t2. Any suggestions, tips, pros cons…
    I've run into a similar need... Had a T1, cracked the inner hub, found a used T2 as a replacement while waiting on a warranty, but want to get a backup prop. Not sure about your Statos, but the Tempest was highly recommended as an alternative for the T1/T2 for my Skeeter, but you will also need to change out the hub as well. So for simplicities sake, ie for a spare prop, might be best to stick with the same family, ie another Yamaha prop. But if you are just wanting to test different props, then switching to the Merc hub setup might be more beneficial as it opens up a lot of other prop options.

From what I've been able to learn, talking to a few prop guys including Mark Croxton is that for the T1/T2 series, Early T1's are reported to be very good, especially when worked, but later T1's had reliability issues (slinging blades), esp if run high. Yamaha's reaction was to bring out the T2, which is a reportedly stronger version of the T1, but most find they drop a bit of rpm moving from the T1 to the T2, and that for a $1000 prop they are not built/balanced very well, and they also changed how the exhaust flows for the worse. Getting a T2 worked and balanced seems to be a requirement.

T1's, espeically early ones are near impossible to find. T2 25p's are on national backorder - my dealer has 3 boats ahead of me waiting on warranty replacments, one for over a year :(. Although I did see a couple on ebay last week, suprisingly, so they are out there apparently. Anyway, I'll likely be switching to a Tempest with the appropirate Merc/Yam hub setup soon. While a good T1 is typically a great prop, finding a good T1 or T2 around these days is very, very hard apparently.

I just installed a 250 on my Ranger and currently running Solas props. I've run the Scorpion (24P) and just picked up a Lexor to try. The Scorpion provides me with an almost instant holeshot and excellent bow lift. Amazon had them for $390 so I picked up both. I never ran a Yamaha prop but so far, I'm very pleased with the performance and the price helps a lot too!
    Joe Galada - Tamaqua, PA
    2004 Ranger 521VX - Yamaha 250 SHO

4. Member
    On that hull I wouldn’t be surprised if you could turn a 26p T2. Set up right should be good for mid 70’s.

5. Member
    Can't speak to the Stratos, I'm running a SHO 26. It is what came on the boat when I bought it new.
    2014 Phoenix 721XP, 250 SHO, Bobs Action Jack, Dual Blades, 112 Ultrex, 2019 Lariat FX4 F150 Supercrew 4x4