Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
  1. Member
    I need to count the yay's and the nay's.

2. Ranger Boats Moderator 22RangerZ520R's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MarKimBassTeam2021 View Post
    I need to count the yay's and the nay's.
    No = 23
    Yes = 4

Several "in the middle", like if an Evinrude dealer is close go for it, or if you get a smoking deal, etc etc....

2022 Ranger Z520R | 2022 Platinum F250
    Apex 19 | (2) Apex 16's | Mega 360 | Mega Live

3. Member
    I would worry about getting parts in the future, NO for me.

4. Member
    Wow! Thanks!!!!!

5. Member
    Take a chance if you are feeling sporty.

You may get lucky or you may get the Evinrude "pit of misery".

Anything with the name Evinrude on it is simply considered discontinued.

From some of the posts about warranty and parts availability issues, it would seem somewhat unsupported as well as discontinued.

Keep us up to date on the Evinrude soap opera.

6. Member
    Wow! This has been an eye opener.

7. Member
    But I feel like I haven't heard the best yet.

Almost everyone is telling you no, if you buy one with an Evinrude on it make sure you factor in new controls and guages to the repower cost. There are plenty of good boats out there that are going to cost you a lot less in the long run than getting a money pit motor and having to repower. If you want the hull that bad, make sure you don't pay more than the hull is worth stripped. Or just buy it and get the guy to throw in a really good tow rope!

9. #FRB
    Quote Originally Posted by mike464 View Post
    Almost everyone is telling you no, if you buy one with an Evinrude on it make sure you factor in new controls and guages to the repower cost. There are plenty of good boats out there that are going to cost you a lot less in the long run than getting a money pit motor and having to repower. If you want the hull that bad, make sure you don't pay more than the hull is worth stripped. Or just buy it and get the guy to throw in a really good tow rope!
    It would be ironic if the good samaritan towing had an old Chrysler outboard still running good. Seems a similar story to the FICHT where occasionally you find one that just won't die. It literally took an act of God to kill my dad's Chrysler Force and it had about as hard of a life on a pleasure boat as a motor can have.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rangerman942 View Post
    I have one now, and have had 6 or 7 in the past. BRP quit producing outboards, but parts will be around for a long while. I’m not worried in the least.
    I've been waiting on a part since July 2022... As per customer service, I might get the part (under warranty) in July 2024...

So believe what you want... I would not buy another Evinrude.

11. Member

Reading all these posts is nothing short of entertaining and pathetic at the same time. The brand loyalty is on full display here. Its amazing to see how people condemn a brand because of a few bad models, its kindda like condemning an entire profession because of a few bad apples......as we all saw in the summer of 2020 with the police. Every mfg made bad motors, and they all will in the future.
    Would I buy an evinrude?....Most models without hesitation, Same goes for Mercs and Yamahas. Best thing about buying a rude....you can get them cheap and there 2 strokes. Plenty of parts available and things like EMM's and injectors, there are places out there who repair them. If anyone wants a bullet proof motor....that would be Suzuki hands down and some Yamaha's.
    BTW, Ive owned almost every brand. The worst 2 motors were my Merc's, my best were Suzukis. Just because my Merc's my worst, dont mean I wouldnt buy another. Currently own an 2004 DI Evinrude, its a bit complex but its a beast. No, they dont like to idle and troll for long periods due to carbon build up and they eat spark plugs, but knowing that....I make sure I stretch its legs every time Im out. Every part is available for my motor whether its brand new or referb'd. Down side, some of the parts are not cheap.
    Servicing this motor, most dealers wont touch it but there are people who will and know these motors. So instead of driving 1/3mi to the local marina, I have to drive 60mi's. The only thing I will say is if your not mechanically inclined, I'd suggest to buy another brand where you can get service. If any motor is well maintained and not abused, it should go hundreds of hrs.
    Would I buy another Evinrude?, most models yes.

To the OP, ANY brand outboard in the years you're looking at is going to be a roll of the dice. My '05 Rude is still running like a beast, something I never thought would happen 10 years ago. But I do know one of these days, it will throw in the towel and call it quits. It's inevitable.
    '05 Stratos 200 ProXL, '05 Evinrude 225HO

13. Member
    More good advice! Thanks

14. #FRB
    Quote Originally Posted by sushi520vx View Post

Reading all these posts is nothing short of entertaining and pathetic at the same time. The brand loyalty is on full display here. Its amazing to see how people condemn a brand because of a few bad models, its kindda like condemning an entire profession because of a few bad apples......as we all saw in the summer of 2020 with the police. Every mfg made bad motors, and they all will in the future.
    Would I buy an evinrude?....Most models without hesitation, Same goes for Mercs and Yamahas. Best thing about buying a rude....you can get them cheap and there 2 strokes. Plenty of parts available and things like EMM's and injectors, there are places out there who repair them. If anyone wants a bullet proof motor....that would be Suzuki hands down and some Yamaha's.
    BTW, Ive owned almost every brand. The worst 2 motors were my Merc's, my best were Suzukis. Just because my Merc's my worst, dont mean I wouldnt buy another. Currently own an 2004 DI Evinrude, its a bit complex but its a beast. No, they dont like to idle and troll for long periods due to carbon build up and they eat spark plugs, but knowing that....I make sure I stretch its legs every time Im out. Every part is available for my motor whether its brand new or referb'd. Down side, some of the parts are not cheap.
    Servicing this motor, most dealers wont touch it but there are people who will and know these motors. So instead of driving 1/3mi to the local marina, I have to drive 60mi's. The only thing I will say is if your not mechanically inclined, I'd suggest to buy another brand where you can get service. If any motor is well maintained and not abused, it should go hundreds of hrs.
    Would I buy another Evinrude?, most models yes.
    You FICHT/ETEC lovers are no different from Chrysler outboard lovers in my opinion. Seems the majority just don't "understand" them and ignorant to how great they really are if you know the right people and have them blessed by a priest before every outing. If your Etec is running great then I'm happy for you. Just don't come crying to us when your sources for parts and service run dry. There's a reason boats with a direct injected Johnson/Rude are way cheaper than ones with Merc or Yamaha.

The only model of Johnson/Rude I wouldn't own is the FICHT/ETEC. The carb models seemed to be mostly solid. Been pushed hundreds of hours by them. One has to decide how much grief they can take and more times than not paying more for something more commonly accepted will be the cheaper option over time and will also keep you on the water more instead of sitting waiting for parts or trying to find a shop that doesn't laugh at you over the phone when you ask them if they'll work on it.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

15. Member
    I had a 2008 250HO that was the biggest piece of junk I've ever owned.
    Allison XB21
    Mercruy 300r

16. Member
    I think the Nay's are getting bigger.

17. Ranger Boats Moderator 22RangerZ520R's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MarKimBassTeam2021 View Post
    I think the Nay's are getting bigger.
    It was 83% NO's when I posted on #122.

If you added the "maybe's" (I didn't include those in the tally) with a reputable dealer close by or only if you got a smoking deal on the boat you'd probably be pushing almost 90% NO. What more do you want, 100% No's?!!?

2022 Ranger Z520R | 2022 Platinum F250
    Apex 19 | (2) Apex 16's | Mega 360 | Mega Live

18. Member
    I THINK Evinrude pioneered direct injection on outboards. Great idea, used less gas for more power and less oil. Downside...if it had an issue it could kill itself. I owned a Ficht and an E-tec. Until the Ficht broke it was excellent, the E-tec never had any problems. Ever.
    Once the Ficht broke I could never get it fixed properly and went Suzuki.
    If I were to buy a boat with an Evinrude on it now I would expect to low ball the owner.

One more fact you cannot ignore. They all blow up. Every brand.

19. Member
    Gotcha 22RangerZ520R. But what kills me is you have all these people saying you can't get parts, But then there are the people who say that the parts are available. So the only reason I'm asking this question in the 1st place is there are tons of good used bass boats out there. With the cheap price because of the Evinrude hanging on the back. I'm actually looking at an older 98 Carburator Evinrude. So I just started this thread to kinda get an idea. So in the long run I'm just going to have to decide.if you go back and read a lot of these comments, people have a lot to complain about basically every Brand. I think since Evinrude shut down, it's caused a lot of fear and emotional responses. just my gut feeling. Besides, right off the top of your head ( how many Evinrude/Johnson outboards are out there now still running and still have the need for parts, I'm going to say that there is a market for those parts and someone is going to manufacture them to supply the outboards that are still in use, which I would say that # is in the Hundreds of Thousands.

20. Member
    I am seeing an ad for a 2004 Ranger 520 in nice shape with what the owner describes as a bulletproof Evinrude on the back he’s asking almost 29,000 for the boat -seems like you’d have a better chance of winning the Powerball, then spending close to 30,000 for a 19 year old boat with a ticking time bomb on the back that you can’t get fixed-it’s a shame because the boat has new carpet, new Uphostery power poles, new cover, (boat comes with no electronics and old fortrex) etc. but based on the advice on this board, the true value of the set up should be just what the hall is worth almost have to pretend there’s no outboard on the back

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast