Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Evinrude yay or nay?

I'm in the hunt for a Bass Boat in the 20' + range 225hp to 250hp range. Now seems like everytime I come across a great deal it's got a Evinrude or Johnson hanging on the back. I did some research and it seems these outboards are a nightmare. I've been told to stay away from them. Anyone have any advice?

2. Member
    Just sold my Stratos with an Evirude. Almost impossible to find parts. Last I heard they went Bankrupt. I would stay away!

It depends on what it is for one and the next consideration is do you have a reputable Evinrude technician within a reasonable distance.
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

You're kidding, right?
    1994 201 Champ re-powered with a 250 HO G2 E250LHAFA 05438419

5. Member
    I have one now, and have had 6 or 7 in the past. BRP quit producing outboards, but parts will be around for a long while. I’m not worried in the least.
    2018 Ranger RT188 Custom Jet
    150/105 Evinrude ETEC Jet

That be a big…..NO

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs

7. Member
    Here’s the cliff notes. All the guys who have an Evinrude will say it’s fine and go for it. All the guys who don’t have one will say no or never. So by the numbers you will get more no’s.

Id suggest local research. Are there parts around? Is there a technician close by if you need help or work you can’t do? What’s the condition, records, hours, etc of the one you’re looking at? Then figure out if it’s something you want to do.
    2008 Skeeter 21I. Yamaha 250 Series II.
    2011 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 4x4.

I had two Rudes and I still say no. Even though Rudes are a thing of the past, I had more headaches with them.

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs

9. Kansas Bass Club Moderator
    HUGE NO! It’s to bad because there are some nice rigs for sale that have them hanging on the back of them. Thousands cheaper than mercs or yammys.

getting parts not the issue finding someone to buy a boat with one is.

No for me, of course, i wouldnt have bought one when they were in business anyway

11. Member
    Only if you can get a smokin' deal.

12. Ranger Boats Moderator 22RangerZ520R's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 99R93S View Post
    Here’s the cliff notes. All the guys who have an Evinrude will say it’s fine and go for it. All the guys who don’t have one will say no or never. So by the numbers you will get more no’s.

Id suggest local research. Are there parts around? Is there a technician close by if you need help or work you can’t do? What’s the condition, records, hours, etc of the one you’re looking at? Then figure out if it’s something you want to do.

^^^ This ^^^ Except I would not rest my decision on the availability of service on the Evinrude because I forsee more and more mechanics getting away from working on them and it becoming harder to find reputable Evinrude service shops.
    My dealer sold my 2018 Z520L with the G2 on it and said it was sold as is and that he wouldn't be working on it anymore (I bought it brand spanking new, babied it and it only had 150hrs on it when the power steering went out on it - a $8k repair). I washed my hands clean of Evinrude and traded that 2018 Z520L with the G2 for my current rig.

My vote is a big NO, but if you can get a smoking deal on it you could always repower down the road. Good luck in your decision.
    Last edited by 22RangerZ520R; 03-14-2023 at 06:59 PM.

2022 Ranger Z520R | 2022 Platinum F250
    Apex 19 | (2) Apex 16's | Mega 360 | Mega Live

13. Member
    Nope

14. Member
    Run don’t walk

15. Member
    If price is right and you have a reputable service shop in your area go for it.

My current 150 G2 has been a great motor but I also have a great service shop close by that's not going anywhere!

My buddy bought a brand new boat with a rude on it last spring for whatever reason I have no idea. Then he tried to trade it in this winter back to the same dealer he bought it from and they took 10k off normal the trade value because it has an evinrude on it. So now he’s stuck in it for now unless he wants to go way upside down on it. Luckily he hasn’t had issues with it yet.

2023 Ford F150 XLT Super Crew 2.7L Ecoboost FX4
    2021 Phoenix 721/ Mercury 250 ProXS 4s
    HDS16 Pro- Solix15 : Console
    HDS16 Pro W/AT - Garmin 126 W/ lvs34 - Solix12/ 360 : Bow
    Dual 10' Blades/ Lowrance Ghost/ Bobs Hydraulic Plate
    225ah cranking / 100ah trolling. Ionic/Relion lithium

MLF Invitationals Angler
    Instagram @brettcarnright

17. Member
    I want to cry every time I read about Evinrude. I have a 1996 Evinrude I bought new with my boat. Rock solid all these years. This was the motor company the Ontario resorts used since you couldn’t kill their motors. The stories are legendary of the abuse these motors took and kept on truckin’. FICHT killed OMC. Just a tragedy.

18. Member
    I’ve always been an Evinrude fan. All we have ever owned was Evinrude up to my parents current pontoon boat and my precious bass boat. I have an older Johnson and anytime my mechanic worked on my motor there was never a concern for parts, but all repairs have been maintenance related or minor repairs.Older 2 strokes are easier to work on and parts seem more readily available (especially after market) than newer 4 stroke evinrudes. This 1995 Johnson is much more reliable than my previous 2003 Mercury.

that said, I would be very cautious buying that big of a motor with little to no service and parts available. Like others have said, if it’s a great deal then go for it. But if there was a Mercury around the same price, I’d be buying that instead.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

19. Member
    I have never owned one but I did fish with a guy who had a 200 HP FICHT motor on a very nice Ranger. The motor was nothing but trouble, broke down on us several times and ended up costing him a lot of money. He finally took whatever trade in he could get on a new Ranger with a Merc on it. My brother had an Evinrude 70 back in the day and that thing was bulletproof. I think many of their older carbed and maybe EFI engines were good engines but like has been posted the FICHT motors killed OMC. They went bankrupt to get out from the warranty claims and lawsuits. I agree that good Evinrude mechanics will be harder and harder to find along with parts. It is a shame that such a prominent name in the marine industry screwed up by banking on a technology that proved to be unreliable. Personally I'd stay away from them. Yes there are good deals but they are good deals for a reason. I would never, ever buy a FICHT motor and the only reason to buy any other OMC engine in my opinion would be that you are getting such a great deal on the hull / electronics that you can afford to repower the thing with a Merc or Yammie when the time comes and the time will come. With the price of new outboards you would have to be getting the hull dirt cheap to make it worthwhile.

20. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 99R93S View Post

With all respect I will say you are wrong...

I once ran a Evinrude to north of 1000 hours and re-powered with my current Evinrude. My current E-Tec has around 340 hours and has been an great motor. Other than basic maintenance the only time I've done anything to my current Evinrude was replace a trim switch rely module. Would I buy another one just like it...no...I'm not buying a motor that the manufacture has stopped production on the entire brand. Currently BRP is producing parts but if they stop production on an entire brand what's to say they want stop production on replacement parts. Plus dealer support is getting hard to find. I have no ill will towards Evinrude. In fact the only 4 boat motors I have ever owned in 30 plus years of boating is 1 Johnson and 3 Evinrude's. With that being said my next purchase will more than like be a Yamaha or possibly a Mercury but I think Yamaha is the better option. And for the record I am simply stating that is my opinion based on what I have seen and read.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast