Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Nay

2. HYDRA SPORT LS205 225HO JER-1 BIG BASS's Avatar
    Don’t wanna jinx myself, but my 1998 Johnson 225 HO, is still kicking ass, most costly maintenance so far over bout
    14 years afte4 I got it running correctly, has been replacing the thermostats and all fittings, an$ blow of& valve.
    Little over 200 bucks, but so far I’ve done all the work myself. M6 next big project on will probably be replacing the reeds,
    not sure if I wanna do i5 myself or pa6 someone 5his time

3. Member
    My ETEC 150 has not failed me since purchased in 2009. Run like new. Are they really not supporting parts for these anymore?

Greg

4. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue76 View Post
    My ETEC 150 has not failed me since purchased in 2009. Run like new. Are they really not supporting parts for these anymore?

Greg
    No you can still get parts for the G1.

5. Member
    Don't walk...............run away from that!

6. Banned
    Great motor or not I would not buy, the thing is not made anymore and no one is training on them much I bet. As far as parts, I doubt anyone is making any internal motor parts anymore so whatever is on the shelf is it.

Just to big a risk unless it has a huge discount, not because they are good or bad but because crap happens and doing this would no doubt present more of an issue with repairs than a motor manufacturer that is not out of business and still has factory supported service centers.

Quote Originally Posted by old4runner View Post
    As far as parts, I doubt anyone is making any internal motor parts anymore so whatever is on the shelf is it.
    You are wrong about this, anyways.
    1994 201 Champ re-powered with a 250 HO G2 E250LHAFA 05438419

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvanboat View Post
    I want to cry every time I read about Evinrude. I have a 1996 Evinrude I bought new with my boat. Rock solid all these years. This was the motor company the Ontario resorts used since you couldn’t kill their motors. The stories are legendary of the abuse these motors took and kept on truckin’. FICHT killed OMC. Just a tragedy.
    Technically, George Soros killed OMC.

I would personally stay away.
    I have also looked at a bunch of used boats lately and if its got a rude on it i move on.
    With parts availability and not a lot of support I couldn't make that jump.

10. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 86 inches View Post
    You are wrong about this, anyways.
    So who is producing these internal parts like cranks and pistons? Not BRP per the ex local dealership here and they were Rude folks for 30+ years and I 100% believe thier parts manager.

They have to source parts via a shared inventory with other ex-Evinrude dealers.

11. Kansas Bass Club Moderator
    I’d buy a boat that had an etech on it but he’d have to subtract the nada cost of the motor off the price. They are worth next to nothing.

12. Member
    Wow! This is some good reading. Thanks. More stories would be great!

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvanboat View Post
    I want to cry every time I read about Evinrude. I have a 1996 Evinrude I bought new with my boat. Rock solid all these years. This was the motor company the Ontario resorts used since you couldn’t kill their motors. The stories are legendary of the abuse these motors took and kept on truckin’. FICHT killed OMC. Just a tragedy.
    Exactly....I grew up on the salt water and OMC /Evinrude/Johnson were the only motors that would endure that harsh environment....crying shame

2019 721 ProXs 4S 250
    2B599739

14. Member
    Not in a million years would I buy an evinrude

I don't think they are manufacturing much if anything in Sturtevant, but I know for a fact that they are still producing parts. Last fall, BRP replaced my stern/swivel bracket and DPS steering, honoring my warranty. (The same part mentioned earlier in this thread.) The part was a newly redesigned and manufactured part. It was not a small part... basically the entire midsection of the motor. A 5K part and over 8K total for the repair. It was not made in Sturtevant but outsourced to another manufacturer. They are making... and supplying parts. They are still honoring warranties.

Much of what has been said here in this thread about difficulties getting parts can be said of all brands. Parts have been backordered everywhere, not just Evinrude.
    1994 201 Champ re-powered with a 250 HO G2 E250LHAFA 05438419

16. #FRB
    Like others I wouldn't buy a boat with an ETEC on it unless the price was so good I could just about repower with an equal hp Yammie, Merc, or Suzie and still be in the black. People can say the ETEC is a great motor until they're blue in the face but I bet they think different when suddenly their trusted service center closes or gives them the cold shoulder. For those who say the ETEC is a great motor just ask yourself if you had two equal boats priced the exact same but one of them had an ETEC and the other a Merc/Yamaha, which would you buy? I know which one I would buy because I live in Merc/Yamaha country. Still see a few older OMC motors from their heyday but they're phasing themselves out. That said, I would 100% buy a carb OMC if it was still running good even over a Merc of the same vintage.
    Last edited by Highcentered; 03-15-2023 at 02:07 AM.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

Loved my Etec when it ran. Couldn’t sell the boat with the Etec so I’m actually going today to put a merc on
    2011 Ranger z521/2023 250ProXS

18. Member
    Depends on the deal. I found a good deal on a boat I wanted a couple years ago (P4) with a '16 200 G1 ETEC HO. I've got a local guy who works on Evinrude (was a dealer before they went away) who's very good so I got it. Resale isn't a concern for me since this one does everything I want it to do and I'd have to pay close to 4 times what I paid to get a new one that'd be comparable which I'm not doing. With what I paid if it blew up tomorrow I'd just repower it with a mid 2000's Opti or something. That being said, in the past two seasons the motor has been awesome, probably the strongest 200 I've had and haven't had a single problem. The automatic winterization feature is great, last trip of the year I leave it in the water on the trailer and it's winterized in less than 5 minutes pull it out and put it in storage when I get home. Until now I've had all Mercs except for 1 Yamaha.

19. Member
    I had a 19ft Champ with a 200hp Evinrude, it was down more than it was up and running. I wouldn't own another. I have friends with smaller Champs with 150s and it seems like anything 150hp or smaller are super solid. Anything over seems to have consistent issues

20. Member

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast