2000 johnson 225 HO intermittent stalling

I am currently running a 225 ho with low hours and good compression. It runs great other than the fact it bogs on acceleration maybe 1 or 2 times out of 15 takeoffs during the day of fishing. No idea what it is have checked the easy things. Engine has good sync n link verified, new stator, freed up timer base that was stuck, new plugs, and rebuilt and cleaned carbs and throttle body passages. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Check your timing and bump it up 1 degree should help.

Thanks...we are test running tomorrow will let you know how it goes. Idle timing right now is set at factory...still has the orange wax on adjustments. It idles very smooth but a touch high maybe 850 in water and 750 in gear.

Still doing same thing...took off 10 or so times today fishing and it bogged down twice. Pushing in the choke gets it over the hump and up on plane. I know the carbs are clean so im not sure what causes this.

5. Member
    There is a lack of fuel or some other anomaly causing a lean condition. Air leak ath the carbs, something missed in the carbs.

I get what youre saying but, if there was an air leak or other condition in the carbs why wouldnt it bog down every time? It only does it once or twice in a whole day.

7. Member
    Sorry I can not help with the inconsistency. Unless it is a vapor lock. But activation of the primer and the engine recovering means lack of fuel.

8. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    I would check the anti-syphon valve on the tank, either knock the ball out or replace with regular barb.

9. Member
    I once had to pull the fuel pickup where it was loaded with 'naval lint, if you get the picture. I used 2 box wrenches 180-degrees opposed on the boss welded to the tank and it came right out. That filter had a 4" clog hanging off it and when I'd hit a wake or such and the fuel would slosh it the other ... intermittant bogging.
    "Life's too short for an ugly boat!"
    1985 totally refurbished Pro-Line 21A Cuddy - 175hp Evinrude FFI

No fuel alarm present also pumping bulb does not fix the issue. Would assume if carbs are full the anti siphon valve should be irrelevant right? Will keep trying things and keep posted.

11. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Clear sleeve still on the throttle roller?

Yes the throttle roller has the clear sleeve....went back thru carbs today with fine tooth comb. How much torque on carb bolts? I tightened them just a touch more than hand tight in cross pattern no torque wrench that small but guessing 5 foot pounds or so
    Last edited by bassinyea; 03-22-2023 at 08:33 PM.

Noticed a partial clog in the low speed brass passage in 2 of the 6 carburetors. Cleaned and flushed with alcohol and reassembled. So far it appears this may have fixed the issue.