Ice Ice Go Away!

MN Crew, how many more months until the ice starts melting? With all this snow piling up it feels like it will be July...........

I am going to go with April 23rd down here in the Metro.
    2019 Nitro Z19 Sport with 150 Four stroke
    Swinging bass in the front
    and wake boards and tubes off the back

2. Member
    I'm hoping all of the snow insulated the ice and it's not as thick as we think...........but don't know for sure, that's why I'm hoping!

Also hoping all of this snow helps fill up some of the lakes that were extremely low last fall.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bass-o-maticjm View Post
    I'm hoping all of the snow insulated the ice and it's not as thick as we think...........but don't know for sure, that's why I'm hoping!

Also hoping all of this snow helps fill up some of the lakes that were extremely low last fall.
    That's is exactly the case, obviously northern MN has a ton of ice but I think with all of the melting and freezing we had here in the metro the last two months that ice off will be somewhat normal. Besides all of this snow I don't think winter has been that blistering cold this year.

4. Member
    On Minnetonka, as an example, ice last week was about 12 inches of clear 4-6 of bad ice and, of course, a lot of snow. More to come this week. That is I think below average for this time of year, last few years we have had 20 plus inches of clear ice. Never got above 12-15 of clear ice this year.

April 23 is a good guess, I think it will be close to that. But a couple of warm days and lots of rain will melt really quick this year.

Hopefully we get one more crappie run this weekend on the ice. Looking at the weather ice fishing will still be viable for another 10 days or so, if not more, if the landings don't get too ruined.

5. Member
    This winter effin' sucks!

6. Member
    I do agree Champ187elite and DQM, overall a good winter, not super cold. Lots of snow to make it pretty outside and allow the kids play in it. Typically, I am done with winter and snow at the end of February.

7. Member
    Mitchell in Eden Prairie has open water...with ducks and geese, in the middle...lol

Quote Originally Posted by hawg whacker View Post
    Mitchell in Eden Prairie has open water...with ducks and geese, in the middle...lol
    It must have an aerator.
    There was a time that I didn't fish but I cannot remember it.

9. Member
    Ugh. Another blast tonight. Spring will never come :)

Still 12 inches of clear ice on Minnetonka. 4-6 of crappy ice, and as of the other day about 2 inches of frozen slush as all of the snowpack melts. I guess we will wait and see how much we get tonight. Thought I was done with the snowblower for the year, guess not.

Late ice crappie fishing has been great though!

10. Member
    The melt is on :)

I expect two weeks from today I will have the boat on the water. Maybe sooner if the landings free up quickly.

11. Member
    Shouldn't be much longer after this week! Gonna hit 70s and maybe 80 a couple days.
    2020 Ranger Reata 1850MS Merc Pro XS 150

There was a time that I didn't fish but I cannot remember it.

13. Member
    Ice out yesterday on Minnetonka. Not far off on your guess OP of April 23rd!

14. Member
    I can't believe how fast the ice came off the lake near my house. It was off like late on April 8th! I can't believe what the 80's and wind did to it. I didn't think it would come off that fast!

15. Member
    Any idea on the ice thickness of Mille Lacs and lake further north?

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bass-o-maticjm View Post
    Any idea on the ice thickness of Mille Lacs and lake further north?
    I'm not sure but I saw a picture of a lake around Minocqua, WI and the ice is getting pretty patchy. Pretty similar latitude to Mille Lacs.

Also keep checking the DNR Ice Out map
    Minnesota Lake Ice Out Dates | Minnesota DNR (state.mn.us)

17. Member
    I'm driving down from Fargo to the Minneapolis area to have a boat cover made next week. Does anyone have a recommendation an an area lake to the north east that may be clear with a descent ramp and maybe a few crappie to calibrate some of my electronics and check the motor. I leave next weekend for a 1200 mile trip south and just wanted to make sure everything was good to go before making the haul. Thanks in advance!

18. Member
    Minocqua...
    should give you a pretty good indication

https://www.thebeacons.com/webcam/

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilfong9 View Post
    I'm driving down from Fargo to the Minneapolis area to have a boat cover made next week. Does anyone have a recommendation an an area lake to the north east that may be clear with a descent ramp and maybe a few crappie to calibrate some of my electronics and check the motor. I leave next weekend for a 1200 mile trip south and just wanted to make sure everything was good to go before making the haul. Thanks in advance!
    Fishing EDAK this year??
    2022 Phoenix 919 Pro Xp
    2022 Mercury 225 ProXs 3B171157

20. Member
    The lake I'm on in N.E.W. has been ice free for 3 weeks, but the other lake up in the central U.P. still has complete coverage. LATE spring this year.