Engineering Dipshi...tness.

So the other day I ran my 99 Ford farm pickup up on a frozen snow pile. When I got out there was tranny fluid dripping. I cracked what I thought was the "tranny" cooler hanging on the front of the crossmember right below the bumper. I ordered a new "tranny cooler" at Napa. When it came in it wasn't right so It made me look more into it. It is not a tranny cooler at all but it is a "power steering" cooler. Now why the neck does PS fluid need to be cooled and why would you hang it in protected? Needless to say the $110 cooler will be getting bypassed with a barb fitting to connect the hoses.

This got me thinking about what other engineering mavels have been dumped on us in the past.
    This should be fun!!! GO!
    ~~1995 Gambler~~

Mercury 250 ProXS
    Bobs 10" AJ
    Dual Power Poles
    2-HB 1199's HB 1158 HB 597 in dash
    Ultrex 112

"Runs like a cheetah... with his @$$ on fire"

2. Member
    p/s fluid gets hot --- any fluid under pressure gets hot -- helps the pump and gearbox last longer
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

3. Member
    Had one on my 06 Trailblazer.
    It failed and I by passed it.

4. Member
    I've worked on a Honda that had a power steering cooler. It was a length of copper tubing in a loop in front of the radiator.

5. Member
    I work on all makes and models of cars. I don’t have enough time in my day to list all the things I think are “engineered” poorly. Granted I’m not an engineer, and I get cars are not assembled with thought to being disassembled, but I wish they were sometimes.
    2008 Skeeter 21I. Yamaha 250 Series II.
    2011 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 4x4.

6. Member
    PS fluid can get very hot. Hotter that transmissions. It is probably there because air flow under the truck and around the transmission was inadequate. Now as far as epic fails, no where in the owners manual does it tell you to driver you truck up on a snow bank. Dont fault the engineer for something you did out of the normal operating parameters of you truck.

plastic oil plug on F150

8. Member
    The P.S. cooler was a great idea and it did improve the life of the pump especially in warmer climates.
    2018 BASSCAT COUGAR FTD
    MERCURY 250 PRO XS 2B524980

9. Member
    First time under My 99 Jeep Wrangler I noticed the plastic tank on the radiator was one of the most unprotected things about it. Skid plates everywhere else plastic tank just a hanging.

10. Member
    All trucks have one. I have changed many over years from rusting out. The location gets good air flow over it
    QUIT WISHING AND GO FISHING🐟
    08 skeeter I class 08 yahama 250 98 HYDRASPORT 205 98 EVINRUDE 200 to many other boats to list

All makes and models have way too many shorts between the seat and steering wheel.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Babe Winkleworm View Post
    So the other day I ran my 99 Ford farm pickup up on a frozen snow pile. When I got out there was tranny fluid dripping. I cracked what I thought was the "tranny" cooler hanging on the front of the crossmember right below the bumper. I ordered a new "tranny cooler" at Napa. When it came in it wasn't right so It made me look more into it. It is not a tranny cooler at all but it is a "power steering" cooler. Now why the neck does PS fluid need to be cooled and why would you hang it in protected? Needless to say the $110 cooler will be getting bypassed with a barb fitting to connect the hoses.

This got me thinking about what other engineering mavels have been dumped on us in the past.
    This should be fun!!! GO!
    I have a similar complaint with my boat. When I hit a log going 75 mph, my lower unit sheared off. What were the engineers thinking putting such a vital piece of my boat in such a vulnerable position...

13. iNCORRECT pOLITICALLY
    Quote Originally Posted by Thamelau View Post
    I have a similar complaint with my boat. When I hit a log going 75 mph, my lower unit sheared off. What were the engineers thinking putting such a vital piece of my boat in such a vulnerable position...
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

No one likes a pot licker or GPS pirate. FIND YOUR OWN FISH!