Jerkbait and Spinnerbait rods

I am looking for suggestions on a jerkbait/top water rod in the 6'8" to 6'10 range and a Spinnerbait rod. Both for fishing smallmouth on clear lakes. I am new to fishing a jerkbait and need to replace and old Academy Sports all star classic Spinnerbait rod that the cork is falling apart on. My MAX budget on each rod is $150 and I am looking for some guidance from the group on what to look at and what to avoid.
    2021 Vexus AVX 181, Mercury 60CT 4S, MK Ultrex, HB Helix 7 MSI and MDI

2. Member
    As far as a jerkbait/topwater rod you don’t need to spend a lot of money to get a great rod. Something in the 6’7” to 6’10” will work great. I recently just bought the Daiwa Tatula Elite Seth Feider 6’9” jerkbait/topwater rod. Tacklewarehouse had them on sale for like $130. You can find them on sale most places as the new gen of tatula elites are being released any day now. Castaway has thei Skeleton nano rods which for the money are good too.

3. Member
    Same opinion here. You don't need a rod that's ultra sensitive or ultra expensive. I like the new SLX A from Shimano. They have a couple of models in Medium, a 6 foot 10 and a 7 foot 2 that are nice at a nice price.

4. Member
    For the jerkbait rod, the Castaway Skeleton Nano Topwater is a good choice. 69MF. It has a very soft top section but transitions to a good backbone. It's an excellent popper rod too.

For spinnerbaits, I'd look at the Halo HFX 73MH ($150). If you order through Halo, they have a 15% off first order code I think.

5. Member
    Dobyns Sierra 682c Is what I use for a wide range of jerkbaits in the same scenario.

6. Member
    If you can find a sale the Dobyns Kaden 610-4 is an amazing rod.
    Sapphire Blue/Black Bottom Vexus AVX 1980, Mercury 150 Pro XS

Quote Originally Posted by Cbump View Post
    If you can find a sale the Dobyns Kaden 610-4 is an amazing rod.
    The 4 power as a "heavy" isn't too much?
    2021 Vexus AVX 181, Mercury 60CT 4S, MK Ultrex, HB Helix 7 MSI and MDI

8. Member
    I just picked up a 6'8 croix victory "the jerk" rod the other day...its pretty sweet. Havnt gotten it out yet but i paired itnwith my fav E series curado and she feels nice
    2020 Skeeter ZX150

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratos92 View Post
    The 4 power as a "heavy" isn't too much?
    It’s their jerkbait/squarebill specific rod. I love mine.
    Sapphire Blue/Black Bottom Vexus AVX 1980, Mercury 150 Pro XS