Thread: Trap rod?

Trap rod?

What is everyone’s favorite rod to rip a trap out of grass? Thanks in advance.

2. Member
    Tricky question because they can be fished in so many different ways. I've found rods with MBR style actions the best, or graphite cranking rods. Moderate enough to cushion blows and keep the trebles in place, but crisp enough to feel connected, detect bites, and not load up like crazy before it actually leaves the grass.

Over the last few years I've used GLX 843 MBR, Kistler 733 LMH (with X-ray blank), Powell 725 MH Graphite Cranking rod and (most recently) Edge Epitome 7'2" MH. Not sure how heavy your grass is, maybe you prefer a heavier rod (but these have worked for me).
    Last edited by Drakestar; 03-13-2023 at 04:34 PM.

3. Member
    ALX ToadFace
    2022 Skeeter FXR20 Limited

4. Member
    What type line will you be using?

5. Member
    Dobyns champion 765cb. First time out with it I thought I had gotten the 765 flip model it felt so stiff, but once I got a bite it loaded up nicely.

6. Member
    15 # fluorocarbon

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassakwards View Post
    Dobyns champion 765cb. First time out with it I thought I had gotten the 765 flip model it felt so stiff, but once I got a bite it loaded up nicely.
    I have that rod and I will give it a try.

8. Member
    I would look for a faster tip and taper in whatever length and power you prefer for the weights you intend to toss. Assuming 1/2-5/8 oz lipless, I would be using my Phenix Ultra MBX Classic 707MHF which has a fast tip and loads quickly into the backbone but is forgiving enough with fluoro on bigger trebles due to the longer overall loading length. I used to fish heavy grass with 1/2-3/4 lipless and 15lb CXX with a GLX MBR 844 and it also worked well.

Good luck.

Ark Invoker Pro 7'4 med heavy composite , 20 lb pline cxx , 7.3 Tatula.

Quote Originally Posted by Bassakwards View Post
    Been looking at this one as well. Idk though as it doesn't seem stout enough for me. I have an older Duckett Micro Magic 7' 6" crankbait rod that has been my 1/2 oz trap rod for many years and it is perfect. Just enough power to rip from grass and plenty of tip to keep them pinned. I would be thrilled if the 765cb reacts the same.

11. Member
    +1 on the ALX Toadface and I also like the Megabass Levante Perfect Pitch as well.

12. Member
    I've been using a ALX Rumble for working traps through grass and it does a great job.

There have been some interesting responses in this one for sure! Everything from a heavy power flipping/pitching/frog rod to a moderate crank bait rod and I thought jerk bait rod choices were all over the place

I've fished the new US Destroyer P5 F5-72X Daemos with lipless/grass this winter/spring and it has really been fantastic. It has a nice tip with some give that lets you pop it out, and also enough flex when they eat it. The Daiwa BLX 74MHRB is another fantastic 1/2 oz lipless/grass rod, deeper flexing, great power, and moderate enough to help keep them pinned. The Steez AGS 72M Moving Bait Versatile, while being one of the best swim jig rods I've ever fished, is also a great trap rod in general, and has a great power and action for lipless/grass applications. There are so many good options, it really comes down to budget and personal preferences. If I can help out, feel free to send me a PM anytime, The Tackle Trap tries to keep these kinds of rods in stock all the time...

14. Member
    I use a saint croix 7' medium with fast tip. Feels like a cranking rod with a faster tip.
    2023 Skeeter FXR20
    Lake Guntersville

Loomis 906MBR
    " Serious Service for the Serious Angler"

Quote Originally Posted by Bogeypro View Post
    I use a saint croix 7' medium with fast tip. Feels like a cranking rod with a faster tip.
    I still use my Xtreme 7’ medium fast for a lot of lipless (especially on the smaller side) but I have come to absolutely love the 7’6” medium heavy moderate fast action to really shine in both open water and through grass. Currently using a Legend X in that configuration.
    *BRIAN CASKEY*
    '00 Tracker ProTeam 185 Special Edition
    '99 75 hp Merc ELPTO (ser. 0G837626)
    Minn Kota Terrova 80 w/Ipilot
    Helix 10 Sonar/GPS / bow 360 / RC-1
    Helix 7 CHIRP MSI GPS G3
    STRICTLY Shimano and St. Croix!!!!