Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Power trim switches not working

1983 Mercury 150 black max
    6366799 serial #
    Hi all. Everything worked fine till I replaced both relays on power trim motor. Had some intermittent on down is why I changed them. Switch at handle and at bow worked fine now have nothing. Motor will go up and down with screwdriver on relays. Anyone know of a fuse. Thanks in advance
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Have you tried putting the old relays back in?
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    I have not but I am now. I thought the same thing earlier but didn't do it. Thanks! Worth a shot. I try that tomorrow

4. Member
    those are solenoids , oem or afterjunk ????? , check all connections and grnds /wired correctly
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

5. Member

6. Member
    They are the quicksilver relays. Local dealer. 70 bucks. Gona try a swap now with old one.

7. Member
    Swapped relays still nothing. Rats

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JC1971 View Post
    They are the quicksilver relays. Local dealer. 70 bucks. Gona try a swap now with old one.
    Those are SOLENOIDS. Totally different device, as they work independently (and are used with a 3-wire trim motor).

Believe in your PM you mentioned bridging the large terminals resulted in the trim motor running.

In your picture, look at the small RED wire right next to the larger one. Follow that wire- it should be connected to 12V+ power, and should have a fuse in it. That's likely where your problem is.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

9. Member
    I did bridg20230313_171347_007.jpge the 2 solenoids and trim motor ran.

10. Member

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Need a picture of the connections on THESE solenoids:

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

I dont see a battery ground to the brackett they mount to, I do see the small ground from the solonoids to that brackett
    looks like the top has grounds to both the excite terminal and the terminal. each solenoid requires an excite wire on one side and a ground on the other side, excite wires should not ne black, I am refering to the two small wires that go to the solenoids
    Last edited by lpugh; 03-14-2023 at 10:50 PM.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

13. Member
    see the large black wire beside fuel tank it goes to lower mounting bolt on bracket not shown in pic
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

14. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    +1

ALSO... there's a small red wire laying on the floor, looks to me like there's a ring terminal on the end of it (laying near the battery). Suspect that may be the power supply circuit for the trim system (smaller fused wire that normally connects directly to the power buss bar between the solenoids).

15. Member
    Thanks! I labeled few wires might help. Trying to get a better pic.

16. Member
    solenoids must have 12v from switches when activated to operate , wiring or switch faulty

17. Member
    Yes thanks. Raining today. I'm sure it's a wire. Just not sure which one. Bow and handle switch worked fine before I switched solenoids. I'm trying to keep from taking to shop but this one is being a bear. The wires going to solenoids on the 1 side are the 2 green and blue, that come from engine harness back to solenoids, and bow trim wires. Those seem right 2 going to the up, 2 to the down. Thanks I appreciate all the help. If I was a Lil smarter I'd have it by now lol.

18. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    That block fuse (red block with large red wire) goes ON TOP of the power buss bar (which runs to the inner studs on the solenoids).

Check that fuse for continuity- it's essentially a fusible link in a plastic block. If blown: No go.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast