New Prop Spinning under power on 2001 Merc @

I have a new prop on a 2001 2stroke Merc 25HP SN# OT186630 The old prop spins a little bit but not as much as the new one. I believe it is because the old prop has very little cup left. Is there a rubber boot inside the motor that needs replaced or something? Thank you.
    Last edited by soulfisher; 03-12-2023 at 06:53 PM.

2. Member
    there is no rubber clutch in gearcase , describe spins do you mean it slips /cavitates , props do spin/rotate thats how they propell the boat
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    Seems to be slipping to me. The old one does it a little bit but not as much as the new one. I'm guessing the new one does it more because it has way more cup to it. Thank you

4. Member
    more cup should help with slippage
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

5. Member
    yes sir that is why I upgraded but it seems like it is slipping internally. both props are identical in size and pitch.

6. Member
    possible internal gearcase problem

7. Member
    ouch. Thanks for you suggestions

8. Member
    im sorry but its what i do

9. Member
    Understand and appreciate your time. Can you tell me what a used lower unit is going for these days and are they hard to find? thanks again.

10. Member
    Do you have tachometer on this boat? If so then what are maximum rpms you reach? And max speed? If not, consider buying a Tiny Tach to read rpms, kinda important when trying to determine prop problems/performance.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Might also help to know what your original prop was (part number) and the part number of the prop you installed.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor