Thread: Daiwa Tatula 80

Daiwa Tatula 80

I bought this reel last fall and just used it for the first time, last weekend. It makes the worst squealing noise on the cast. Is that normal for these? I’ve got several other Tat 103s and they have been great. Did I get a dud or should I just get it cleaned?

2. Member
    Take the side plate off and pull out the spool. Apply some reel oil in the 2 main bearings, there is a bearing in the removable side plate and there is another main bearing on the opposite side. I would also put a really light dab of reel oil on the tip of the spool shaft. Hopefully that will take care of the noise.

20230312_163721.jpg20230312_163746.jpg
    Last edited by NEBASS78; 03-12-2023 at 09:18 PM.

3. Member
    I did that yesterday. We'll see how it sounds next weekend.

Sometimes they need a bit of oil as NEBASS mentioned. If that doesn't work, and you bought it new from an authorized US Dealer, it is under warranty. The Tackle Trap is an authorized Daiwa Executive Service and Warranty Center, so feel free to send it in if necessary and Bryan will get it straight. PM me anytime for more info...

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronzefly View Post
    Sometimes they need a bit of oil as NEBASS mentioned. If that doesn't work, and you bought it new from an authorized US Dealer, it is under warranty. The Tackle Trap is an authorized Daiwa Executive Service and Warranty Center, so feel free to send it in if necessary and Bryan will get it straight. PM me anytime for more info...
    Thanks Gary I did buy it from the trap last fall. I'll get with spankey if it needs to be sent back.

6. Member
    I like the Tat line but reading the above would steer me away from the 80 at the very least. It’s common knowledge they aren’t lubbed properly from the manufacturer? Call me old fashioned but a brand new $200 reel that you have to crack open and add a dab here or there before using is off putting .
    Red Sox in 6!

Quote Originally Posted by Phrog Phil View Post
    I like the Tat line but reading the above would steer me away from the 80 at the very least. It’s common knowledge they aren’t lubbed properly from the manufacturer? Call me old fashioned but a brand new $200 reel that you have to crack open and add a dab here or there before using is off putting .
    Reels from every manufacturer need a little bit of lube from time to time, yes even direct from the factory. It's just common sense, not a systemic problem...