Looking for Trolling motor recommendations.

I currently have a 36 volt Minnkota Ultrex 112 that had interference on my HB Helix 10. ( Works great, shame on Hummingbird for interference ). I am looking to replace with Garmin or Lowrance or other. Looking for recommendations?
    What is the weight of the trolling motors?
    Lighter would be better, but power poles too new and not proven.
    Must have spot lock and No interference on Helix Mega 360 and Garmin EchoMap Ultra 106 and LS 34 transducers.

PS: I am sure RF interference is coming from Ultrex! Link to post things I have done. https://www.bbcboards.net/showthread...499&highlight=
    Last edited by RattleHeadBaits; 03-12-2023 at 08:41 AM.

2. Member
    Maybe you've already done it but I'd make sure the interference isn't something specific with your boat before changing trolling motors, just the have the same problem. Give this thread a look if you haven't. https://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=1213283

Added: I just saw in another post that you've got a stealth 1 charger. The charger is great, but the common ground required between the batteries is the source of your interference. The solution is toward the end of the thread I linked. A brushless trolling motor may solve the problem but a ~$50 solenoid is a bunch cheaper.
    Last edited by Woody b; 03-12-2023 at 07:35 AM.

3. Member
    I tested by by using an individual battery that only powered the Helix 10 and 360. Interference same if Helix10 and 360 transducers within 3 foot of Ultrex.
    What I might do is go to BassPro and buy a new Ultrex and see if I ge interference. If I do return and replace. If not keep. I have some friends that run the same and don’t have inference but some do.
    Thanks I looked at link.

4. Member
    ?
    Last edited by bobcoy; 03-12-2023 at 09:52 AM.
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

5. Member
    I would keep the Ultrex. Nothing is better enough to be worth the cost.

Quote Originally Posted by RattleHeadBaits View Post
    I tested by by using an individual battery that only powered the Helix 10 and 360. Interference same if Helix10 and 360 transducers within 3 foot of Ultrex.
    What I might do is go to BassPro and buy a new Ultrex and see if I ge interference. If I do return and replace. If not keep. I have some friends that run the same and don’t have inference but some do.
    Thanks I looked at link.
    If you do buy a new trolling motor I recommend one with a brushless motor. I have dealt with EMI interference for 10 years first with a MAXXUM and for the last 3 years, Ultrex.
    Most of my personal electronics was Lowrance, starting with Gen1’s and upgrading to Gen2 Touch and eventually Gen3. I applied best practices, all of which have been mentioned in this thread, and eliminated the interference until Gen3 came along and brought CHIRP with it.
    In the same time frame, my Tournament partner was fighting EMI on Garmin. I tried all the practices applied to my units and nothing worked. The Garmin’s had CHIRP.
    In my experience Minn Kota’s are the worst at generating EMI and line noise and Garmin is the most sensitive to this environment.
    Despite this, I have now changed over to Garmin at the console and bow including LiveScope and I still have the Ultrex. I have a small amount of interference on sonar but my LiveScope, down imaging and side imaging are clear.
    in addition to all the fixes I had in place, I changed my trolling motor batteries to Lithium and I have a Lithium battery in my front locker to power my LiveScope module and bow 10 inch Ultra.
    My setup is ok now but all this could have been much easier or avoided altogether if my trolling motor had a brushless motor.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

7. Member
    I had bad interference with an older motorguide (whole screen would white out). Tried rewiring, moving wiring, grounding, magnets, replaced 4 bank chargers, eliminated 4 bank charger, etc. Even went so far as to buy a new motorguide TM, nothing helped. Switched to a Garmin Force and it all went away.

If I were to choose again, I would still get the force. It has some quirks, but it's powerful and quiet and does pretty well in heavy cover.

One thing I would do differently would be to keep my old Humminbirds as my primary graphs, only add a bow Garmin graph for Livescope.

8. Member
    Coming from an Ultrex or sticking with it - you have to try the foot pedals on the Garmin, Lowrance or PowerPole and then decide. Don't care if the trolling motor last 10x as long for power, if you hate the pedal feel a $3k+ purchase of the trolling motor will not be for you.

9. Member
    I run an Ultrex with Lowrance Live units and I have no detectable interference on my 2 Lives that I run on the bow. I will say I have all my Graphs, NMEA network and Active target module all on there own separate fuse box with dedicated wiring.

I always have had great luck with interference from my minnkota maxxum, to my fortrex, then to ultrex and now Lowrance ghost. I always had very little to none. But I always have had dedicated wiring for my graphs which is probably the deal. I run from the graph directly to the battery. I see you have a troll bridge installed, maybe that is part of it. Hard to tell with boats what it could be without seeing it all in person but I will say this. Swap to a Lowrance ghost or garmin force and your interference will be 100% gone. For me if I had going on what you are experiencing I’d have a ghost overnighted to me tomorrow.

2023 Ford F150 XLT Super Crew 2.7L Ecoboost FX4
    2021 Phoenix 721/ Mercury 250 ProXS 4s
    HDS16 Pro- Solix15 : Console
    HDS16 Pro W/AT - Garmin 126 W/ lvs34 - Solix12/ 360 : Bow
    Dual 10' Blades/ Lowrance Ghost/ Bobs Hydraulic Plate
    225ah cranking / 100ah trolling. Ionic/Relion lithium

MLF Invitationals Angler
    Instagram @brettcarnright

11. Member
    I have used Minn kota for years and used the Ultrex on friends boats and like them but got a deal on a Ghost and its alot quieter and smoother. I hear the Garmin and Power pole are nice too. I would not consider a Motor Guide ! just my opinion.

12. Member
    https://humminbird.johnsonoutdoors.c...e-interference THIS IS WHAT CLEARED UP MY INTERFERANCE CHARGER CHOKE

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pajoe329 View Post
    https://humminbird.johnsonoutdoors.c...e-interference THIS IS WHAT CLEARED UP MY INTERFERANCE CHARGER CHOKE
    curious how did you hook it up.

14. Member
    When running an independent battery for Helix 10 only that does not have a charger connected. This is not required.
    Still have interference’s on independent battery.

15. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    happy to help you with either the force or the ghost feel free to give us a call both instock

16. Member
    Have you checked the Minn Kota transducer ground fuse? All MK motors after, according to them, 2013 have one. See below from the MK Website:

• Check the connections on the Universal Sonar 2 Adapter Cable (MKR-US2-8) connecting the trolling motor transducer cable to the depth finder.
    • There is also a transducer cable connection located in the control box under the top cover. Even though the two ends are connected, they MUST be screwed tightly together to eliminate interference. Ensure that the knurled ends are tight.
    • US2 models also have a brown ground wire with a mini 3 amp fuse, if this fuse is blown then this could be the cause of the interference. The fuse should be tested with a digital V.O.M. Replace the fuse, if needed and retest.
      • All 2013 and newer Minn Kota 24 and 36 volt freshwater trolling motors will include a factory installed fused ground wire.
      • Note: If this fuse is blown, a circuit loop is being completed through the ground wire. This indicates that an improper power connection is being made to either the motor or depth finder. This improper connection must be located and corrected to prevent a circuit loop and further interference issues.

17. Member
    Don't have any interference with the Ghost and all Lowrance electronics.