Bass cat trolling motor

So I pulled the trigger on a new Sabre FTD with an 150 four stroke. Got a decent deal on it and needed a smaller boat due to storage. I’ve owned a ranger 519 in the past for comparison. I’ve never rode or fished in a bass cat ever but my main concern is how the boat will handle and your opinions when using the trolling motor. Boats currently being rigged and won’t be ready for another week or two. I stood on the front deck and being that far forward it felt weird, will I adjust to it over time?

2. Member
    You will get use to it very quickly, many posts on this very topic.

Took me maybe 15 minutes to love being way forward. Especially nice if you do allot of flipping/pitching as boat does not get in the way. My first Cat was purchased in 2001, and I never used a butt seat. Now that I am past 60, I keep the butt seat in for safety—something to lean on on windy days or lots of boat wakes.

Congrats on your purchase! Us Cat owners are for the most part very brand loyal for a reason.

3. Member
    ^^^ Same here, being far forward is awesome - especially if you share front deck.

4. Member
    I came out of a Z521L Ranger to a Lynx. I too was worried about the forward position of the trolling motor and I’m an older guy. I was very comfortable with the forward position within 30 minutes.

5. Member
    Yes, it may take 30 minutes to get used to it. Amazing for flip/pitch/skip. The odd time I run the troller on my friend’s Skeeter, I keep wacking the troller. Could never go back to having it placed rearward as in most boats again.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

6. Member
    once you adapt to it, it will be the best spot ever on the boat to flip.pitch
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

7. Member
    I came from a smaller ranger and thought that fishing plateform was the cats ass until I picked up a bass cat cougar. It's like the boat was custom fitted to me. Being from Ontario 75% of my fishing is smallmouth on big and small water. That forward fishing platform is perfect for sitefishing big black shallow smallies, dropshotting deep smallies while using active target, jerkbaiting and when it's time for the green fish, pitchn and flipn is a breeze. I don't hit my graphs, TM or side of boat anymore.

8. Member
    Amatures :) . I was fishing from the back deck of my PII on Grand Lake last year while remotely controlling the motor on the front with the FOB. A couple of lake dwellers were astonished that I could get down the lake without having to be on the troller. I would suggest the OP get a Ghost and you don't have to worry about how far forward the pedal is. (Posted in good clean fun :) )
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

Took me about a day to get used to it....and almost throwing myself a time or two.
    Now I love it.

Yup felt odd my first few trips but now I realized how much easier it is to pitch, roll cast, skip, throw jerkbaits, etc. When I get in other boats I end up whacking the trolling motor head with my bait a lot. The one thing I don't like is wet feet when fishing in big water but spotlock TM fixed that.
    "Any pizza is a personal pizza if you believe in yourself"