TR186 Seat Removal

I own a 2008 Triton TR186 and I’m wondering how to remove the driver and passenger seat for my specific style of seat. I can remove the screws at the bottom of the seat cushion no problem, but can’t figure out how and where the backrest is secured.

I’m going to give it a shot at posing a pic.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    I have a 1998 TR20, not sure if yours is the same, but there's a aluminum bracket that connects the bottom of seat to the back of seat. You cannot see this bracket until the seat is removed.

Once you remove the screws from the bottom, the whole seat (bottom/top) will slide strait up, the aluminum bracket has a tab that slides into the seat/gas tank pan.
    1998 Triton TR-20, 2017 Evinrude 150HO

In my business we do tons of upholstery….in some of those seats the middle of the back rest velcros in. Screws are behind it.
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

4. Member
    I haven’t tried removing the bottom screws yet to see if the whole seat will just slide up. I probably should. Last night I tried pulling the middle section of the backrest out in each seat, in hopes it was just Velcro. I started at the bottom of the middle section and pulled it while wiggling it. I got each of them about 1/4 of the way lifted and then it seemed more difficult to lift it further. So, for fear of ripping / damaging those pieces I stopped. It also seems when I pushed it back in place it didn’t seat and hold in place as well?

5. Member
    That mid section on the back should pull out if i remember right.
    2009 Triton 18x3 Pro

6. Member
    So I’ve got the exact same seats in the same boat. I’ve taken my seats out a couple of times to clean them up and the area that they sit on when it was really dirty and when I replaced the carpet last year. Here’s how mine is attached and what I do to get at the screws.

1. Looking directly at the seat from the front, I put my hand at the bottom of the center section of the back of the seat and begin to pull that section up. It will be a bit tight but you can easily pull it up gently without tearing anything up. I can get mine to sit at about a 75-80 degree angle.

2. When that section is pulled up partially you can look up under it and see a couple screw heads or more. I actually have two in my seat with one being about mid way in this section and the other a bit higher. In my seats there were a few other holes without any screws in them so I used a sharpie and marked the location where the screw head was so I was sure to put it back in the right place. Then I took these screws out marking which one went where.

3. Now look at the front bottom of the seat platform next to the carpet and drains. If you look at the bottom of the seat you will see a black grill like metal bracket (mine was actually attached to the seat) with a few screws in that platform on each side. You will have to remove these screws from the base platform, marking which holes were used. You do not have to remove the bracket from the seat. Once these are out the seat comes out easily.

a few other notes: 1) make sure you put the same screws back in the exact location as the gas tank sits under or behind them 2) know that the top screw in the seat back actually goes into the carpeted area that tucks in behind the seats at the top, and 3) make sure you mark the location of each screw (ask me how I know…)

Hope this helps.

7. Member
    Thanks again for all your help Knappster, from your posts and PMs. I took my boat to the dealer, and to make their life easier I gave them your instructions. While I’m sure they would have figured out how to remove the seat(s), I believe they helped. I had my gas tank and lines pressure tested and they believe the issue is gas tank permeation.

8. Member
    Yes those particular seats can be a pain to get out. I took them out of a TR-186 I owned several years ago and it was quite challenging.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wackyrig1 View Post
    Thanks again for all your help Knappster, from your posts and PMs. I took my boat to the dealer, and to make their life easier I gave them your instructions. While I’m sure they would have figured out how to remove the seat(s), I believe they helped. I had my gas tank and lines pressure tested and they believe the issue is gas tank permeation.
    Glad some of the info seemed to help. I’d suggest that you double check that they got the seats tight when they put them back in.

Also, I’ve heard of the permeation issues and have it at times also. Always seems worse when I have the boat covered and all lockers closed.