36v tm on a 175?

Anybody running a 36 volt on a 170 or 175? I know the battery compartments pretty tight just wondering what modifications you made. I'm looking to purchase a older 03-08 for our smaller trolling motor only lakes.

2. Member
    Way overkill, a 24v 80 lb thrust is plenty for a Tracker 175. There is a point of diminishing return with a 36v trolling motor.

3. Member
    Probably overkill but switching over to a single 36v lithium would help with the space issue.

4. #FRB
    When/if I replace my Ultrex with a Ghost I'll be going 36v lithium mainly because I can. Now on the overkill part I can see where that could become a thing. My buddy had a 12/24 Evinrude trolling motor on a 16' flatbottom one time and he couldn't get it slow enough to slow troll for crappie. The speeds on that motor were also 6 fixed speeds (3 low and 3 high if memory serves) instead of a fully variable control. No such thing as overkill as long as you can turn it down low enough. The little bit of extra speed and range a 36v will give will be well worth it on a trolling motor only lake.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

5. Member
    I have a 36 volt Fortrex on my VT17 Crestliner. When I switch to a spot lock troller, hopefully this year, I ain’t going back to anything less. I run lithium batteries so room or weight is not a problem. I fish river current quite a bit, but also a trolling motor only lake. Works great.

6. Member
    Running a more powerful TM on a lower speed gives you more battery life than running a less powerful TM on a higher speed. Minn Kota has run time sheets for most of their motors in their manuals and most all of them will only run 3-4 hours on top speed. Bump it down to midrange and it increases like 2x-3x. This is based on 100ah lead acid batteries in either 12v, 24v or 36v configurations. I just ordered a Garmin Force and three Iconic Lithium 50ah batteries because I wanted enough power to run it at mid range or lower on a boat (Targa V-19) that would likely do just fine with it running at 24v-80lbs of thrust. Lastly, You can get three group 27' lead acids in the 175 battery area (its very tight). If I was in your shoes, I'd be using that compartment right behind the port passenger seat for my 4th battery.
    2023 Targa V-19 Combo
    Mercury 200hp XS XL Four stroke
    Garmin Force TM-36v Ionic Lithium Batteries
    Best Speed to date: 51.2mph
    BEST/WORST: Storage / Compartment moisture

7. #FRB
    Quote Originally Posted by CincyGus View Post
    Running a more powerful TM on a lower speed gives you more battery life than running a less powerful TM on a higher speed. Minn Kota has run time sheets for most of their motors in their manuals and most all of them will only run 3-4 hours on top speed. Bump it down to midrange and it increases like 2x-3x. This is based on 100ah lead acid batteries in either 12v, 24v or 36v configurations. I just ordered a Garmin Force and three Iconic Lithium 50ah batteries because I wanted enough power to run it at mid range or lower on a boat (Targa V-19) that would likely do just fine with it running at 24v-80lbs of thrust. Lastly, You can get three group 27' lead acids in the 175 battery area (its very tight). If I was in your shoes, I'd be using that compartment right behind the port passenger seat for my 4th battery.
    EGGZACHARY!

I have a 31 and two 29's in my 175. No trays. Not smart to have no trays or straps but never had a problem. I measured one time and I think you can get 4 24's in that area too if you turn them the other way.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.