Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hydromotive Quad IV-X O/T on Puma STS results

The boat came with a Fury 24p (3 blade). I was able to hit 6150 RPM and 77mph with a the left tank half full and the right tank empty.

The boat just didn’t lift well. It felt completely flat and was “pushing “ through the water until you got the RPM really high and trimmed way up. With a passenger (250lb man) the lift problem was worse and the top end speed was considerably less.

Today I tried my Hydromotive Quad IV-X O/T 24p. I ran it for a pretty long while at various levels on the jack plate. No holes on the prop were plugged and unfortunately I forgot to bring the plugs with me.

Hole shot was no good, because the prop wouldn’t bite. RPMs would launch really high (5200+) until the prop was able to bite and get going. I had to feather the throttle on the hole to allow the prop to bite. I will add plugs and retest.

Once on plane, the amount of lift and better performance was incredible compared to the Fury 24. This allowed a lot more acceleration and handling. It felt like a completely different boat. I was very pleased with “normal” driving.

At wide open throttle, it took me a bit to find where I could get the best results. Too speed was 72 at 5830 rpm. Those slip numbers are good, but man I would love to be able to get those RPMs up and get it to 75. Handling was plenty stable at that speed, but it didn’t have anything else left in it. 70-71 was the achieved pretty easily. Getting that extra mph took good water and just the right trim and jackplate height. It felt as if the boat wasn’t even touching the water.

I’m going to try to get out tomorrow afternoon and run it with plugs, along with the new Bravo XS that was delivered this afternoon. Stay tuned…
    2023 Puma STS

Bravo XS will outperform both those props. It is your best compromise. I run a Jag and I stopped wasting my time looking for something that was all around better than the Bravo XS.

I hope you pitched up on that bravo. they tend to run 1-2 pitches weak compared to most. Looking forward to hearing how it goes with the bravo.
    24’Bass Cat Puma Sts-300 Proxs
    23’Gatortrax Gt tunnel hull-200 Suzuki

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by white gambler View Post
    I hope you pitched up on that bravo. they tend to run 1-2 pitches weak compared to most. Looking forward to hearing how it goes with the bravo.
    Got the 26.
    2023 Puma STS

5. Member
    Which motor? 250?

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Limbhanger51 View Post
    Which motor? 250?
    Correct.
    2023 Puma STS

Quote Originally Posted by TNReb View Post
    Got the 26.
    24’Bass Cat Puma Sts-300 Proxs
    23’Gatortrax Gt tunnel hull-200 Suzuki

8. Member
    Thanks for posting the results!! Interested to see how the bravo performs!!

9. Member
    That’s a pretty good number with the Fury.

10. Member
    How did the Bravo do?

11. Member
    Didn’t get a chance to test it yet. Work has been busy and it’s been cold! Hoping to have time to run it tomorrow.
    2023 Puma STS

12. Member
    I took the boat out today and ran the Hydromotive with plugs, as well as the Bravo XS 26.

Plugging two of the four holes on the Hydromotive improved the hole shot quite nicely. The boat lifts well and feels great. Top end was still limited to 72mph and under 5900rpm.

I had to plug half the holes on the Bravo to get it to bite. Hope shot was similar to the Hydromotive. Top end was 73 at 5700 rpm. I tried different heights on the jack plate, but couldn’t find any spot to get it much last 5700 rpm.

I talked to Ronnie Gilbert and I’m going to send him my Fury 24 to work on.

Bravo XS is listed for sale in the classifieds. It wasn’t horrible, but my motor just couldn’t turn it.
    2023 Puma STS

13. Member
    I took the boat out today and ran the Hydromotive with plugs, as well as the Bravo XS 26.

Plugging two of the four holes on the Hydromotive improved the hole shot quite nicely. The boat lifts well and feels great. Top end was still limited to 72mph and under 5900rpm.

I had to plug half the holes on the Bravo to get it to bite. Hope shot was similar to the Hydromotive. Top end was 73 at 5700 rpm. I tried different heights on the jack plate, but couldn’t find any spot to get it much last 5700 rpm.

Bravo XS is listed for sale in the classifieds. It wasn’t horrible, but my motor just couldn’t turn it.
    Thanks for posting the results!

14. Member

What are you running for batteries?

15. Member
    I ran the Hydromotive more today, and found that it likes the jackplate much higher than I was originally running it. I was really surprised. I was able to hit 74.5mph at just over 6100rpm with a full left tank and empty right tank.
    2023 Puma STS

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by djtavilla View Post
    What are you running for batteries?
    Two ProGuide 31M100-DP lithiums for cranking/electronics and two Pro Guide 36VM50 lithiums for tolling motor.
    2023 Puma STS

17. Member
    From your original post "The boat just didn’t lift well. It felt completely flat and was “pushing “ through the water until you got the RPM really high and trimmed way up. With a passenger (250lb man) the lift problem was worse and the top end speed was considerably less."

I'm curious if this it feels this way because you are coming from a Cougar?

18. Member
    I run a 25 hydromotives holes open can touch 80 light
    I like the bravo, 26 1/2 the best

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Da guz View Post
    I run a 25 hydromotives holes open can touch 80 light
    I like the bravo, 26 1/2 the best
    which boat and motor?

20. Member
    07 cougar ftd 250 pro xs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast