Vessel View Mobile GPS Speed

My vessel view mobile is connected to a J-Box under the helm and it works fine. Has anyone had the following issue with the GPS speed function on the Vessel View Mobile: The speed on mine will often change to 0 mph (like it lost the signal) and then after 4 or 5 seconds the speed display will return. It does it more often when I am near WOT, but it does it at cruise speed as well. My dash speedometer is a Livorsi GPS unit and it never loses signal. If I use the same cell phone and download a GPS speedo app and use it, I have almost never seen it lose the signal, but for some reason the Mercury app does with our cell phone.
    2020 Checkmate 2400 Pulsare
    2019 Mercury 300R Serial# 1E080852
    1.75 TorqueMaster
    25 Bravo FS / 24 ProMax

2. Member
    I suspect it's a processing power thing with the phone. Speed would drop with my 4 year old phone, but when I updated to a newer phone it no longer does. The speed in the app comes directly from the phones GPS, not the vessel view module. If you open the app going down the road in your truck the speed will read, even when it's not paired to the module.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Woody b View Post
    I suspect it's a processing power thing with the phone. Speed would drop with my 4 year old phone, but when I updated to a newer phone it no longer does. The speed in the app comes directly from the phones GPS, not the vessel view module. If you open the app going down the road in your truck the speed will read, even when it's not paired to the module.
    Thanks. If the issue is the Galaxy S21 5G phone, why does it work if I select a GPS speed app from the internet with my phone and not the GPS app being used by Vessel View? The last time Vessel view did that, I did not switch to another GPS phone app on the same day so perhaps it would also not have worked but it typically always works. I have tried various GPS phone apps and some definitely work much better than others.
    1.75 TorqueMaster
    25 Bravo FS / 24 ProMax

4. Member
    The speed dropped out on my old Galaxy S8, but doesn't on my I phone 13. I figured it was a old vs new thing. Perhaps the gps used in vessel view is more apple friendly. FWIW I'm not a phone guy. I view them as a necessary evil.

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Your "App" is not transmitting, and then receiving that data through BLUETOOTH. Not only must your phone hold GPS satellite lock, you must retain pristine, uninterrupted Bluetooth connection with no substantial interference.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Your "App" is not transmitting, and then receiving that data through BLUETOOTH. Not only must your phone hold GPS satellite lock, you must retain pristine, uninterrupted Bluetooth connection with no substantial interference.
    Thanks Don, so you are saying that the phone does not maintain a bluetooth connection with the module under the dash for some reason? If I have Vessel View Mobile turned off (not connected) and I download a GPS speed app (I have one installed on my phone) the same phone will maintain satellite lock and display the GPS speed on the phone without dropping out. If Vessel view is connected, I have not noticed that it drops engine data and then restores it, which I would expect it to do if it lost the bluetooth connection intermittently. Or does it not work like that? Just asking so I can better understand.
    1.75 TorqueMaster
    25 Bravo FS / 24 ProMax

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    You're not quite understanding.

App is direct on the phone.

VVM is actually coming from the ENGINE. So speed data is having to pass on BLUETOOTH. Two-way bluetooth data is never as stable or dependable as on-board digital signals. Think of it like the difference between wifi and ethernet. Data speed and accuracy is much better when it's a hard connection.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    You're not quite understanding.

App is direct on the phone.

VVM is actually coming from the ENGINE. So speed data is having to pass on BLUETOOTH. Two-way bluetooth data is never as stable or dependable as on-board digital signals. Think of it like the difference between wifi and ethernet. Data speed and accuracy is much better when it's a hard connection.
    It appears your explanation was correct Don. I turned the VVM app on our phone on while in the car and of course it can't connect to the VVM module, but it did display the speed on the VVM app on the phone correctly and never dropped the speed like it does in the boat. So it appears that even though my VVM module is under the helm and the phone is above the helm, it cannot deal with the two way bluetooth processing.
    1.75 TorqueMaster
    25 Bravo FS / 24 ProMax

vessel view link will solve this issue, Love that system, nice to have a full page gauge panel right in my face
    Thank You Leon Pugh

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lpugh View Post
    vessel view link will solve this issue, Love that system, nice to have a full page gauge panel right in my face
    That is what I should have ordered with the boat. Now the dash would require surgery or I would have to install a plotter. Previously my wife had the phone in her seat when the speed dropped out. I tried again and put the phone in my cupholder which is perhaps 2 ft from the VV module. On that day it did not drop out and it was able to display my mpg since it had a constant speed.
    1.75 TorqueMaster
    25 Bravo FS / 24 ProMax