Diagnostic Charge

Should a Mercury dealer charge for diagnosing a motor that is under warranty?
    2013 Bullet 21XRD
    2020 Mercury 300R 1E080760
    3 Garmin 126SV
    LVS34/LVS32
    Ultrex with iPilot Link
    8' Raptors

2. Member
    might happen until the problem is diagnosed to be a warranty issue? if not a warranty issue you would pay, if under warranty you would not
    Last edited by mactlman; 03-12-2023 at 10:36 AM.
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

3. mikesxpress
    What was the issue that required you to take it to the shop?

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    What was the issue that required you to take it to the shop?
    Tilt/Trim wasn't working. Once I got it to the dealer it was working again. They weren't able to determine the problem so I picked it up. While there they noticed one of the steering hoses was pinched between the ram mount and pump on the jack plate and added a zip tie to keep it clear of that area. Also noticed the jam nut on the steering ram was loose and tightened it (it was installed by them when they rigged the motor on my last boat). Lastly, I had the chack the linear acceleration of the hotfoot which was at 100%. $54 for diagnosing tilt/trim, $54 in labor for demand linear and $25 for shop supplies.
    2013 Bullet 21XRD
    3 Garmin 126SV
    LVS34/LVS32
    Ultrex with iPilot Link
    8' Raptors

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WranglerSS View Post
    Tilt/Trim wasn't working. Once I got it to the dealer it was working again. They weren't able to determine the problem so I picked it up. While there they noticed one of the steering hoses was pinched between the ram mount and pump on the jack plate and added a zip tie to keep it clear of that area. Also noticed the jam nut on the steering ram was loose and tightened it (it was installed by them when they rigged the motor on my last boat). Lastly, I had the chack the linear acceleration of the hotfoot which was at 100%. $54 for diagnosing tilt/trim, $54 in labor for demand linear and $25 for shop supplies.
    the shop supplies charge is very excessive on that amount!
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WranglerSS View Post
    Shop supplies fee is pretty steep unless there was steering fluid or some other component/part used.

Labor wise: That is honestly a bargain. Keep the receipt to document the trim problem (especially since your Warranty expires June 25th).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Shop supplies fee is pretty steep unless there was steering fluid or some other component/part used.

Labor wise: That is honestly a bargain. Keep the receipt to document the trim problem (especially since your Warranty expires June 25th).
    No fluid or other components other than zip tie that I can see. .40 hours on each of the labor charges equal $108 at .8 hours would be $135 per hour correct?
    2013 Bullet 21XRD
    3 Garmin 126SV
    LVS34/LVS32
    Ultrex with iPilot Link
    8' Raptors

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Which is about the average in this part of the country.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

9. Member
    I suspect the shop supply charge is a fixed price for that particular shop.

I'm an automotive technician. Labor rates vary by location a bunch. I suspect boat labor rates do the same. Our labor rate is $137.50. I have no idea what we charge for shop supplies. I've seen signs in shops outlining the shop supply charge. For a potential warranty claim we inform the customer the diag fee is $$. If it's a repair covered by warranty the customer won't be responsible for that charge.

I hate it when a customer has a problem I can't duplicate. I usually spend way to much time trying to find a problem. (again, I'm an auto tech, not a boat tech)