Prayers for the BFD LODD

I've been to several out of town funerals for LODD deaths for support, but suffered through the first Line Of Duty Death since I've been a member of the Buffalo Fire Department for the last 13 years in my own city, the wake was yesterday and funeral today. 10:00 AM on Wednesday March 1st in downtown Buffalo. Alarm came in for a Commercial structure fire that started from companies working on a building without a permit using a torch to repair masonry work and sparks ignited something inside. Sounds like the fire had a couple hours to get going and when our guys got there it was pretty well involved. The first engine crew did their job and advanced a line in to try to suppress the fire but several backdrafts occurred and Engine 2 Bravo was separated from the line and his crew. He called a Mayday and the crew from Rescue 1 made a push to extricate him, but due to the heavy fire conditions and partial structural collapse had to retreat so there were no more casualties. Jason was 37 years old, and left behind a wife and a 3 yr old daughter. We go to thousands of different calls each year from difficulty breathing, OD's, MVA's, shootings, stabbings, structure fires, and anything else that people call 911 for. The main objective we have each shift is to get home to our family afterward. Unfortunately, due to the nature of this job, every so often, a member doesn't make it home. Please say a prayer for Jason's family and make a point to hug your wife and kids extra hard the next time you leave the house. Ut Vivant Alii. (So others may live).

Meant for the Lounge. Please delete on this section Rods and Reels.