Thread: Damiki vaults?

Damiki vaults?

What size and brand hooks do you guys recommend upgrading to on 3/8 oz and 1/2oz Damiki Vaults?

I've heard some people complaining about the hooks on these baits, but personally feel like the hooks that come with them are pretty darn good. They're super sharp and stay sharp, at least. They are definitely light wire though. Are you straightening them? Try loosening up the drag if so! I caught several Great Lakes smallies in the 4 lb range on them with stock hooks last fall and several over 3 lbs in current on the Mississippi late fall into winter, but was fishing it on a long rod with light line and definitely didn't horse them. Those baits are so...dainty? finely tuned? I'd worry that upsizing or putting heavier hooks on them would completely wreck their action. Or maybe I just got a good batch?

I'd look toward Owner ST-36 if I were going to replace them. Regular Gamakatsu round bend would probably be my second choice. I think they're size 8 on the 3/8 oz, but don't own any of the 1/2 so can't say for sure on those. If the 1/2 comes with size 6, you could consider the Gamakatsu G-Finesse Nano trebles depending on budget (or maybe how snaggy the places are where you're fishing them).

Mostly off topic: It's a little mind-blowing to me that we haven't seen Gamakatsu start making that G-Finesse treble down to a size 8. Seems like that'd be a good seller for them, particularly to smallmouth and spotted bass anglers fishing smaller jerkbaits, blade baits, and maybe some smaller topwaters.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    Mostly off topic: It's a little mind-blowing to me that we haven't seen Gamakatsu start making that G-Finesse treble down to a size 8. Seems like that'd be a good seller for them, particularly to smallmouth and spotted bass anglers fishing smaller jerkbaits, blade baits, and maybe some smaller topwaters.
    They make it down to a size 12, just not offered here. It's asinine how the US arms of these companies are stuck in the aughts with things like gear ratios and hook sizes.

Quote Originally Posted by reason162 View Post
    They make it down to a size 12, just not offered here. It's asinine how the US arms of these companies are stuck in the aughts with things like gear ratios and hook sizes.
    Never thought to look in Japan but that totally makes sense.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    Never thought to look in Japan but that totally makes sense.
    You're looking for "Gamakatsu Treble SP" and they come in either "NSC" (Nano Smooth Coat which is what's on the Aaron Martens) or "HS" (Hypershield a saltwater coating silver). They also come in regular wire and MH wire.

The sizing is upped by 1, so a size 6 JDM Gammy Treble SP is a size 5 USDM Amart G finesse etc.

6. Member
    Thank you for the comments. I have broke a few of the factory hooks while fishing on chickamauga. Also i tend to have a lot of bass come un buttoned on them. I keep my drag loose as well they just seem weak to me. I have alot to learn there is a good chance I’m doing something wrong.

On a related note, what type of rod are you guys using for, say, a 1/2 oz. blade bait like the Vault? I’m thinking of switching to a 7’2” M spinning rod, to let it fall more naturally in 30’ feet of water. So I’m curious what others are doing.

8. Member
    I upgrade hardware to Owner Hyperwire split rings, owner snaps, and Gamakatsu short shank magic eye round bends #6 for the the 1/2 vault which is the size I use 95% of the time. G loomis 845 CBR with 30 lb. power pro to a 12 lb. flourocarbon leader. Rarely if ever lose one once they are hooked.

9. Member
    I have bent and broken the hooks and split rings on 12lb fluoro. Half the hooks points are visibly dull as well new out of the package. Every single one I buy gets all new hardware.
    Replace snap with a #2 Owner Hyperwire. The front hook will get caught on the line less.
    Replace hook split rings with #2 Owner Hyperwire's.
    Replace hooks with Gamakatsu short shank magic eye EWG's. If the fish seem to be just slapping at it I will put on round bends. Occasionally replace the front hook with a red one. #4 hooks on the 1/2oz and #6 hooks on the 3/8oz Vaults.
    Alpha Angler Clutch (7'5" medium casting) with 15lb braid and 10 or 12lb fluoro leader.
    2022 Falcon F195

Sounds like I got lucky with the batch I bought!
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Runsome View Post
    On a related note, what type of rod are you guys using for, say, a 1/2 oz. blade bait like the Vault? I’m thinking of switching to a 7’2” M spinning rod, to let it fall more naturally in 30’ feet of water. So I’m curious what others are doing.
    I'll throw a blade bait a good bit in the fall, don't use the Damiki Vault though, 3/8 and 1/2 are my go to sizes...I like throwing them on a MH glass CB rod. When I go to 3/4 it a H glass rod. I've always used a baitcaster spooled with 10lb flouro.

I don't get the expensive blade baits. The way I fish them and where I fish them you can lose a lot of them. I get the Silver Buddy shaped bodies from lurepartsonline (5 for like $6) and add the hooks. I never use trebles either just the double hooks. Fishing with people using other blade baits like Binskys or Jackalls or whatever and we pretty much catch the same amount of fish. I've got some bigger ones that someone made me and those work great too but not remarkably better than the blanks from lure parts. The only other ones I really have are Gay Blades and for me they work about the same.

Am I missing something? The only time I really throw them like I said is in the fall for smallmouth.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by willwork4fish View Post
    I'll throw a blade bait a good bit in the fall, don't use the Damiki Vault though, 3/8 and 1/2 are my go to sizes...I like throwing them on a MH glass CB rod. When I go to 3/4 it a H glass rod. I've always used a baitcaster spooled with 10lb flouro.

I don't get the expensive blade baits. The way I fish them and where I fish them you can lose a lot of them. I get the Silver Buddy shaped bodies from lurepartsonline (5 for like $6) and add the hooks. I never use trebles either just the double hooks. Fishing with people using other blade baits like Binskys or Jackalls or whatever and we pretty much catch the same amount of fish. I've got some bigger ones that someone made me and those work great too but not remarkably better than the blanks from lure parts. The only other ones I really have are Gay Blades and for me they work about the same.

Am I missing something? The only time I really throw them like I said is in the fall for smallmouth.
    Color choices, differences in vibration, and shape/size (this also affects rate of fall and how they fall). I've seen it make a difference.

I have a couple of different lure retrievers and we lose very few blades now.
    2022 Falcon F195

I've been throwing the 1/4 and 3/8 Vault on a 7'7" M spinning rod on braid to a leader, usually 12 lb. I throw normal Silver Buddy style blades on a MH composite cranking/moving bait rod, usually braid to a 16 lb Sniper leader.

The Vault is definitely different. It has a really, really tight wobble compared to the Silver Buddy style blades and in my mind is a lot more finessey, though judging by some of the hook and split ring choices above, that's probably not a universal thought about them. A 6 inch lift of the Vault and it'll vibrate a half dozen or more times (probably more than a dozen), while you might get one "thump" with the traditional style. It's almost like comparing the rapid vibration you get with a chatterbait to what you get with a big ol' hubcap Colorado blade spinnerbait, just on a smaller scale.

Vault has a lot better fit and finish and many many color options as mentioned above which is whatever in my mind, but definitely way different action than the old standbys. Smallmouth fishing is where I've seen them shine. If you're fishing snaggy stuff, I definitely think you'd want to get a lure retriever in line with what buzzin_frog mentions. Otherwise that'd get really spendy really quickly.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"

14. Member
    I'm mostly fishing them up in Door county and typically letting them hit the bottom and then lifting them anywhere from a foot to a good rip depending on how they want it before letting it fall back to the bottom. That time of year it really seems that they'll follow it down and either pin in to the bottom or grab it as soon as you start ripping it but they do grab it on the fall sometimes. That's the reason I only use double hooks front and back too since it's a real bottom oriented deal for me. I'll probably pick a few up for this fall just to check them out. Swapping them to double hooks should help with them getting caught up.

Quote Originally Posted by willwork4fish View Post
    I'm mostly fishing them up in Door county and typically letting them hit the bottom and then lifting them anywhere from a foot to a good rip depending on how they want it before letting it fall back to the bottom. That time of year it really seems that they'll follow it down and either pin in to the bottom or grab it as soon as you start ripping it but they do grab it on the fall sometimes. That's the reason I only use double hooks front and back too since it's a real bottom oriented deal for me. I'll probably pick a few up for this fall just to check them out. Swapping them to double hooks should help with them getting caught up.
    I've put in work with them in Chequamegon Bay which I think is probably similar bottom composition to what you're fishing in Door County, though maybe not. I haven't lost many with the straight trebles they come with. It's been surprising how easy it is to fish 20+ feet deep with the 3/8 version even in the big water up there, probably because the bait is so compact and I'm throwing it on spinning gear, so that probably helps in not getting them hung up. Or at least in being able to get them free when they do hang. Usually the "bow and arrow" trick pops it free on the first or second snap.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"

16. Member
    I have found my hook up percentage goes way down with the double hooks. I'd rather get snagged a little more often than lose a big bass. I do think the EWG hooks cut down on snags slightly, and I fish these on the bottom around a lot of stumps, shell beds, and rock. And while we are on the topic of different blade baits, sometimes Molix Trago Vibes are the deal, unfortunately though they are more expensive and come with really flimsy hardware.
    2022 Falcon F195

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by buzzin frog View Post
    I have found my hook up percentage goes way down with the double hooks. I'd rather get snagged a little more often than lose a big bass. I do think the EWG hooks cut down on snags slightly, and I fish these on the bottom around a lot of stumps, shell beds, and rock. And while we are on the topic of different blade baits, sometimes Molix Trago Vibes are the deal, unfortunately though they are more expensive and come with really flimsy hardware.
    I use Gammy 303's (mostly) or VMC 9908's and feel like I'm not missing many. For me it also might be one of those deals that when they're on it, they're on it because that time of year when the temps really drop they really crush it. Catch a decent number of walleye on it too. Before using the lureparts bodies I used Binsky's or Silver Buddy's so I've pretty much only ever used gold or silver and I'd usually get rid of the trebles on those too.

18. Member
    The 1/2 oz Vault is almost always on a rod on my deck. At times, they are magical. I fish them on M action 7’6” spinning rods and rarely lose fish - even on the stock hooks which I’ll change to Gami’s when necessary. Walleyes especially love these things too.

So after seeing how much some of you guys love the Vault, I checked them out on TW. Wow there are a lot of color options! Do you guys favor any particular colors for smallmouth in clear water? That’s what I fish most of the time. Thanks!

20. Member
    Like most baits anymore I dont get too hung up on color. Something silver and something gold/bronze is what I use for blades.