2 rod building questions

1- Have a 7'10'' rod i fish pad a trash with i would like to strip it down and run smaller guide and make the split grip sections small, am i better off just building a new one or do you thing with time and not rushing i can redo it

2- looking for a M/L or M 7'4'' to 7'6'' spinning blank to build to fish marabou and small swim baits any suggestions

snowing today and need a reason to do to the shop and do something

2. Member
    1. I re-do a lot of rods so I wouldn't hesitate stripping it down and re-doing it. Without seeing the current grip/butt I'd probably just strip it down to the reel seat and go from there.

2. Kind of 2 different blanks IMO for those techniques but a NFC DS761 would be good if you're more hair jig than SB and as long as the swimbaits your talking about are like 2.8's with 1/8-3/16oz head. I'd just go with an IM. Hydra Ng BS9015 is a nice one if you'd be more SB than hair jig but it'll do both.

3. Member
    1- as Willwork4fish said strip the guides and put new smaller guides on is not an issue keep in mind if you go from large standard to like micro guides your guide spacing may change and may need to add some.

2- not sure just how light you want to go but i just finished building up 5 NFC MB724 xray i really like this blank its rated medium but like so many of the NFC blanks i feel it is actually a little lighter than its listed says 10 to 17 lb and 1/4 to 3/4 i dont think i would ever go 17 lb or 3/4 i am planning 8 pound line and like 3/8 and under weights, i built two spinning for a friend, two spinning for myself and one on a casting set up for another friend who likes dragging with casting set up, i have two more coming for two more spinning set ups. its not a m/l but as i said lighter than the NFC rating.

4. Member
    Yeah, one other thing to keep in mind especially if you haven't stripped many rods before is depending on the blank and finish that you used it can be real easy or a real pain to get all of the finish off and make it look like it wasn't there. I use D2 a lot and that comes off pretty easy with some mild heat and a scotchbrite pad. Also the longer it's been on there the more difficult it typically is to get off. Blanks that have a texture like some of the Xrays can make it harder to get it to where you can't tell a guide was on there before.

For my personal rods which I am perpetually redoing when I'm bored I really don't care if the blank looks rubbed where a guide used to be but that's me. I've started playing around with smaller guides and if you're going from like a 6mm ring to a 4mm ring you will probably have to space them differently and maybe add a guide. Just depends.

I like the MB4 power NFC's just fine but I don't think it's going to cast even an 1/8 oz hair jig really well. They do make a great tube rod though built spinning and it'd work well for a little bit bigger swimbaits like 3.3s with a 1/4oz jig.

5. Member
    I think i will work on the re build first and go from there