Solix vs Helix SI

I’ve been away from birds for several years but after being in Dad’s boat with a helix g3 I was blown away by the picture on SI. Because I’m just that way, I figured since I was adding mega 360, I’d just go with another bird to go at the console. I figured the Solix series had to be better so I got them instead, g2 versions. I installed the same transducer as him and while I do get some good returns, I am NOT impressed like I was with his helix no matter what settings or color palettes I run. From video on YouTube some of the guys I watch with helix’s seem to have better and brighter images than what I see on mine and what I see on the Solix’s online. Anybody done a side by side to text the theory. The Solix’s specs out as having a better screen but specs can only get you so far, and from what I see the helix may actually paint a better picture?

2. Member
    Could be numerous things. Power supply/voltage, where the ducer is mounted, how the ducer is leveled, magnetic or some other interference.

3. Member
    Solix requires getting to know all it’s settings. Helix is less complicated and has fewer options to confuse the operator. The manual is needed to learn the operation. JMO Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

4. Lost in Desert.......Help
    Hate to say it, when moving from ONIX to Solix I also had noticeable decrease in SI quality. But I also changed boats at the same time.

I just finished installing plastic spacers between transducer and hole shot plate. I also have a spare transducer I might put on the end of a pole and throw over the side.

On year 3 with Solix units

ONIX units were in use for about 6 years or so, Solix units 2020, same freq and plenty of pushing buttons with mediocre results at best. I am not much of one to complain, this has been disappointing to say the least, I have thought about putting an ONIX back in the position for the SI. If I can find the take off Transducer I might try that if it's compatible.

Best,

BRNut

5. Member
    One easy way to see if the decreased image quality is part of the signal or the displays: copy the recordings from both units to the same control head and play them back individually. Adjust settings and see if a similarly detailed image can be achieved.
    Autochart Pro can open recordings, as well - that would be my first choice to compare the data.

6. Member
    I'm happy I'm not the only on me that wasn't super impressed with the SI on my G1 solix. Waiting for open water and I was going to srltart troubleshooting to see about a bad transducer or faulty Y cable. Maybe the solix just aren't as good.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BRNut View Post
    Hate to say it, when moving from ONIX to Solix I also had noticeable decrease in SI quality. But I also changed boats at the same time.

I just finished installing plastic spacers between transducer and hole shot plate. I also have a spare transducer I might put on the end of a pole and throw over the side.

On year 3 with Solix units

ONIX units were in use for about 6 years or so, Solix units 2020, same freq and plenty of pushing buttons with mediocre results at best. I am not much of one to complain, this has been disappointing to say the least, I have thought about putting an ONIX back in the position for the SI. If I can find the take off Transducer I might try that if it's compatible.

Best,

BRNut
    What gen solix? I have moved on to An Apex, but that is not a fair comparison with solix. The big difference comes the “+” transducers and the Gen 2 and 3 Solix units that support them. If you have a gen 2 or 3 there must be a problem with the transducer or its orientation and /or position on your boat. The same goes for Helix. The latest Helix and + transducer is excellent as well.

Decreased SI quality is almost always related to transducer placement and cable routing in my opinion. I have Solix on my boat and people that have Helix have commented how great mine looks compared to theirs, but when I've seen there's possible blockage or interference is in the way. I've also had Helix in the past on the same boat, my SI from that looked great as well. My SI ducer location is fantastic, my cable routing is also through the bottom of the boat and my ducer cables are never near any other electrical power wires.

9. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    In general, people with Solix tend to have better imaging than the same technology of Helix. This is due to the fact that the Solix has a 14 pin transducer (11 pins used) vs the Helix a 7 pin transducer (6 pins used). The additional Solix (and Apex) transducer pins provide separate ground connections for each of the imaging piezos. People say that they can see a positive difference on the Solix vs Helix but I haven't had a Helix so I haven't really done a direct comparison myself. Even if you don't think the 14 pin vs 7 pin transducer makes a difference, worst case, you should have basically the same imaging between the two.

I will say that having the transducer perfectly level with the surface of the water will make a big difference on any imaging... Helix, Solix, or Apex. You need that SI, DI, and 2D signal going straight down so the ping bounces straight back up. Having the transducer off by just a couple of degrees can have a big impact in image quality. Some people push the back of the transducer down in order to have better contact with the water when on plane but they are doing themselves a big disservice in reducing the imaging quality.

Finally, since there are both Mega and Mega+ versions of Helix and Solix, you need to be sure you are comparing apples to apples... Mega to Mega or Mega+ to Mega+. Also, you need to compare the same size Helix and Solix screen and resolution. A smaller screen will appear to have a better image quality because the pixels are packed in tighter but it's much harder to see smaller SI details on a smaller screen.
    Last edited by SLYDoggie; 03-10-2023 at 03:30 PM. Reason: Correction to the number of pins and pins used for both Solix and Helix..
    ---> Regards, Steve Yarbrough (AKA: SLYDoggieTN on YouTube)
    • Apex 19/16/13, Mega 360, and Mega Live
    • Minn Kota Ulterra Quest Trolling Motor
    • (2) Cannon Optimum Bluetooth Downriggers
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

Quote Originally Posted by SLYDoggie View Post
    In general, people with Solix tend to have better imaging than the same technology of Helix. This is due to the fact that the Solix has a 14 wire transducer vs a 9 wire transducer on the Helix. The additional Solix (and Apex) transducer wires are separate ground connections for each of the imaging piezos. People say that they can see a positive difference on the Solix vs Helix but I haven't had a Helix so I haven't really done a direct comparison myself. Even if you don't think the 14 wire vs 9 wire transducer makes a difference, worst case, you should have basically the same imaging between the two.

I will say that having the transducer perfectly level with the surface of the water will make a big difference on any imaging... Helix, Solix, or Apex. You need that SI, DI, and 2D signal going straight down so the ping bounces straight back up. Having the transducer off by just a couple of degrees can have a big impact in image quality. Some people push the back of the transducer down in order to have better contact with the water when on plane but they are doing themselves a big disservice in reducing the imaging quality.

Finally, since there are both Mega and Mega+ versions of Helix and Solix, you need to be sure you are comparing apples to apples... Mega to Mega or Mega+ to Mega+. Also, you need to compare the same size Helix and Solix screen and resolution. A smaller screen will appear to have a better image quality because the pixels are packed in tighter but it's much harder to see smaller SI details on a smaller screen.
    Helix and number series transducers have a #9 connector with a 7-pin capacity.

Last edited by Wayne P.; 03-10-2023 at 02:21 PM.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

11. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    Helix and number series transducers have a #9 connector with a 7-pin capacity.

Thanks for the clarification on the Helix, Wayne.

To provide a more detailed direct comparison, I have attached a Solix/Apex Transducer Pin-Out image. The Solix/Apex has 3 of the 14 pins unused (11 used) and the Helix has 1 of the 7 pins unused (6 used). From the images for both, you can see the additional ground pins on the Solix/Apex.

Wayne, I'm curious what difference, if any, you see between your Helix and Solix... Since you have both?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

Quote Originally Posted by SLYDoggie View Post
    Thanks for the clarification on the Helix, Wayne.

To provide a more detailed direct comparison, I have attached a Solix/Apex Transducer Pin-Out image. The Solix/Apex has 3 of the 14 pins unused (11 used) and the Helix has 1 of the 7 pins unused (6 used). From the images for both, you can see the additional ground pins on the Solix/Apex.

Wayne, I'm curious what difference, if any, you see between your Helix and Solix... Since you have both?
    The ONIX/ION was the first with the 14-pin connector. It seems that having each transducer element with their own dedicated positive and negative conductors produces a "cleaner" image.
    Don't see that much image clarity difference between Helix and SOLIX as there was between the number series and ONIX.
    I sort of agree with BUNut. I had number series, ONIX, Helix, and SOLIX at the same time.
    I think the brighter displays of the Helix and SOLIX was the most benefit.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

13. Lost in Desert.......Help
    G2 for me, should have added that, my fault

Best,

BRNut

14. Member
    Mine are g2 Solix 12 and 15, dad’s are g3 Helix 10 and 12. I realize I’m human and make mistakes but I tinker and install the majority of electronics in my area. I’ve had 12 different units on my boat in the past year trying to find the best setup for me. I’m using the plus transducers and I’ve used more than one, at different angles and setup depths, with different updates. Again, there could be a hardware or user issue, but I’m not confident those are the issues I’m having. Also running lithium power with dedicated 6 gauge run to console and separate 6 gauge run to bow. Not saying the images I’m seeing are bad but definitely more impressed with the images from dad’s Helix units so far. Side note, his are powered off his cranking battery using factory wiring on a 2014 Skeeter.

15. Member
    I have not heard that opinion before. Sounds like you are experienced and so doubtful it is your setup. I have a G1 Solix and an Apex. Prior to the Apex ,I am very pleased with the Solix . The Apex is another step up. The G2 Solix is better than Gen1 because of the “+” in the unit and transducer. But I get great SI. Yours should be excellent. The 12 and 15” screens are the same resolution for Helix and Solix. Our eyes are all different. Certain colors and viewing distance can also affect perception of clarity. Barring a hardware problem on multiple units I don’t know why the Helix’s look better to you. JMO Bob

16. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    If your Solix isn't giving you the imaging quality you expect, there are a few things you can check which can impact the imaging quality:

1) Make sure the transducer cable isn't running parallel with any power cables.
    2) Coil any excess transducer cable in an "8" configuration... not just a circular coil.
    3) Make sure you have good clean dedicated 12+V power to your solix. I don't recommend connecting your fishing electronics to the fuse block of most boats. I suggest a dedicated fishing electronics fuse block with at least 10 Gauge +/- wires running to a dedicated fishing electronics battery.
    4) If you are getting any kind of RFI noise and have an on-board charger, I suggest connecting one of the Humminbird Chokes between the fishing electronics battery and the charger. Even though the charger isn't in use while fishing, RFI can feed back through the charger to your fishing electronics battery.
    5) Make sure your Solix SI or SI+ Transducer is parallel with the surface of the water while fishing. There are many ways to check this but I like to use the bridge piling approach. Idle parallel to a bridge piling with Down Imaging. If the top of the bridge piling slants to the left, the back of the transducer needs to be tilted down. If the top of the bridge piling slants to the right, the back of the transducer needs to be tilted up. When the transducer is perfectly level with the surface, the piling will also be perfectly vertical.

There may be something else affecting your imaging quality but these are the things I can think of off the top of my head.
    Last edited by SLYDoggie; 03-13-2023 at 06:56 PM. Reason: Changed the word Coils to Chokes.

17. Member
    Slydoggie thanks for the advice. When it gets nice here I'm going to try and work on some of your suggestions and also try the transducer without the Y cable.

18. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by buzzzzbait88 View Post
    Slydoggie thanks for the advice. When it gets nice here I'm going to try and work on some of your suggestions and also try the transducer without the Y cable.
    I edited my post. I mistakenly wrote "Humminbird Coils" rather than "Humminbird Chokes" in Item #4... See Pic.
    Attached Images Attached Images

19. Member
    I will likely add the choke just to rule that out. Otherwise I believe my bases are covered.