NRR Advice: Shimano Expride 7’2” ML vs St Croix Victory 7’3” M

I’ve narrowed my choices to these 2 options for a Ned Rig rod. Most of the time I’m using 3/16 - 1/4 oz weight. Let’s assume the warranty on these rods is the same (even tho the St Croix is much better).

For those that have used these rods what would you pick? I may also use the rod as backup dropshot, swimbait or tubes. Thx

2. Member
    Have you thought about the new st. Croix legend tournament line at all?

3. Member
    Why such heavy weight for the ned rigs

4. Member
    Austin - I see the previous post on the Legend Tournament so maybe I’ll consider that one and Expride instead of the Victory.

QuakenShake - it’s very common to use 1/4oz ned rig weights to reach deeper smallies.

Expride will be more sensitive than victory.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownBass View Post
    Expride will be more sensitive than victory.
    The Curado is a better rod with better components than the Victory - the Zodias blows it out of the water - the Expride is in a different universe.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mackl View Post
    Austin - I see the previous post on the Legend Tournament so maybe I’ll consider that one and Expride instead of the Victory.

QuakenShake - it’s very common to use 1/4oz ned rig weights to reach deeper smallies.
    I always thought it was impossible to fish a ned for deep smallies, hearing the advice of "light as possible always". Then I noticed the pros that tend to do well in smallie derbies are using 1/4-3/8 ounce neds regularly. So much easier to get deep.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

8. Member
    ...Victory typically gets compared to NRX.

9. Member
    Well I ended up picking up the Expride 7'2 ML. I compared it a couple of my true Medium action spinning rods, and feel it is definitely closer to a Medium than ML. But thanks for the advice on here and feel its important to have a more sensitive rod for ned rigs. I already have a couple St. Croix rods so figured I would mix it up and try something different.

McJenson - I used to also think it was not possible to get deep smallies on a ned. But over the past 5 years (on the right type of day with light winds) I catch them often on St. Clair in 17-20FOW and Erie up to 25'. The key for me to get them in this deeper water is it has to be pretty calm out, or I just can't feel the bait...

10. Member
    The victory is a fine rod...but the expride is very fine...i use an LTB for thr ned with a vanford 2500..love it
    2020 Skeeter ZX150