Thread: G2 motor cover

G2 motor cover

I am looking for a vented motor cover, the type you leave on most of the time.
    what brand do you have/ likes and dislikes and how much of a hassle is it to put oil in the res since
    the top of the cowling is where you access the oil fill

I don't have much good news for you. I haven't found a great vented cover for my G2. I have the tuff skinz and it ain't all that. Nice material. Vents where they should be. Not all that hard to take off and put on. But it doesn't provide full coverage. Lots of panel remains exposed. Guess I'll try the one from Ocean South next. From the pics, it looks like it has better coverage but the vent locations look questionable.

1994 201 Champ re-powered with a 250 HO G2 E250LHAFA 05438419

3. Member
    I don't see why someone would need one.
    Mike

2019 Ranger 520L w/ 250HO ETEC G2
    2011 Tracker 175TXW w/ 75HO ETEC

4. Member
    I have an Ocean South half cover. It is pretty nice and easy to take on and off. I don't use my boat with the cover on. For me the cover is about uv and rain protection. The kind of things that fade and permanently spot paint. Just like on cars.

Quote Originally Posted by Millertm View Post
    I have an Ocean South half cover. It is pretty nice and easy to take on and off. I don't use my boat with the cover on. For me the cover is about uv and rain protection. The kind of things that fade and permanently spot paint. Just like on cars.
    So you have the vented Ocean South, right? From the pics I've seen online, it looks like they missed a vent location on the port side. Is that correct?

Quote Originally Posted by blkfalc4 View Post
    I don't see why someone would need one.
    I just want a little extra protection against scratches when I'm flipping flooded brush like this.

7. Member
    The reason I want a vented cover is because of the "after" of what my cowling looks like had I fished in that jungle.
    The two I am somewhat familiar are Tough Skinz and DD26 offers one. No one seems to make one with an oil access port though?

8. Member
    My boat is in storage or I would post pictures. I'm not sure about the vent locations. I've never ran my motor with the cover on. I've had it 2 years now and have taken it on and off every weekend and it is still like new.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 86 inches View Post
    I just want a little extra protection against scratches when I'm flipping flooded brush like this.

Remember the top cover must be removed to access the oil fill. The latch is located on the aft end and the cover is not hinged on the front.
    Let’s consider that all the other features for venting and fit are adequate. Then the question becomes what can be done to modify the vented cloth cover to allow access to the top cover? You could have a local canvas shop add a zipper at the split line of the top cover. This would require additional fabric on the inside to prevent the inside zipper from scratching the engine cover.
    Presuming you trailer your boat the other option is to just deal with the fit of the cover as-is and just remove it as necessary. How often do you add oil and remove the cloth cover vs using a custom zipper feature?

Well, I won't leave mine on. I'll put it on to fish that crap in my pic above, then pull it off at the end of the day. So, I'm not worried about oil fill access. I have the OEM cover that I put on after I wipe down. I tow with that on and it's usually on when my boat is in the garage. I am disappointed with the coverage provided by the tough skinz.

The DD26 is just a rebranded tough skins, BTW.