Lanyard Kill Switch Issue

2006 225 Pro XS serial# 1B262891.

While idling I accidentally pulled my lanyard and it flipped kill switch to kill but it stayed running. I flipped the kill switch to run and back to kill several times and engine kept running.

I ordered a new kill switch (87-133982) and replaced the existing. The new switch does not kill the engine either when tripped.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Ronnie
    2006 Champion 198 DCX Elite / Mercury 225 Pro XS

Should be 2 wires, one goes to a black wire with yellow stripe on your ignition switch. The other black cable should go to a ground somewhere. Can use a ohm meter to test your old and new switch. When in run it will be a open circuit and stop position will be a closed circuit.
    Stroker DC21 Mercury 250 XB

3. Member
    +1 possible wiring issue
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If problem persists, check your keyswitch harness at the engine for an "adapter". If it has one, you may need to clean the pins and spread them slightly (on the cannon-plug or 8-pin side).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Thanks for the reply’s. The wiring from kill switch to ignition is in good condition. The black with yellow stripe is connected to black and yellow wire on ignition switch. The black wire from kill switch is connected to a black wire on the ignition switch. The new and old kill switches when checked with ohm meter worked as Melton stated.

I looked for the adapter that Don mentioned but not sure what it looked like. I saw a round screw type plug and disconnected it and pins and receptacle looked good. I will research the adapter and check some more.

I put the ears on the motor and fired it up to make sure I did not disconnect anything and it fired up. The kill switch still did not work.

Thanks again for the help.

Ronnie

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Follow the wiring that you disconnected (14 pin connector) to see if there is another plug on that harness within 1-3' of the twist-lock 14-pin connector. Sometimes manufacturers were using up older product and utilized adapters to make them suitable for the later engine.

My thinking is that either you have no ground on the BLACK wire, or the Black w/Yellow Stripe wire is open somewhere between the ignition switch and the engine.

Engine would still turn off since the PURPLE wire (PCM wake circuit) is being broken when you turn off the switch.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    I found the connection at motor and cleaned and widened the pins and reassembled. Kill switch still not working. I temporarily connected a wire from black kill switch wire and ran it to battery negative and kill switch still not working.

I used ohm meter and checked continuity from black wire with yellow stripe from where it connects to kill switch wire to motor side of key switch connection near key switch and it was good. Did same for black wire and it also tested good.

I checked continuity from black wire with yellow stripe and black wire going from the kill switch back to the ignition and it was closed (had continuity) with the key switch off and on. Is this correct?

Thanks again for the help.
    Ronnie

8. Member
    should not be continuity with key on /////// no
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    *** Lanyard Switch AND Key Switch must be in the ON/RUN position to get an open circuit between the two wires (if either switch is OFF, there will be continuity).

10. Member
    I went and checked and continuity and open circuit is doing as Don and Joe stated above.

I tried to find the black with yellow stripe wire at engine but could not see it. I did not want to move wires in case I caused more issues.

Thanks,
    Ronnie

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Will need to use a Service Manual to compare wiring diagram and pin-out the kill circuit. Sounds like the black w/yellow stripe has an open-circuit somewhere between the dash and the engine harness/pcm.

12. Member
    Thanks Don.