iNCORRECT pOLITICALLY

Large jackplate setback on aluminum hulls

Some brands (Tracker) frown on and will flat out void your warranty for having anything other than motor bolted directly to the transom. I only put a 4.5" plate on mine and that still makes me mildly nervous. Others will offer 10+ inches of setback from the factory. Do you think the OK to use a jack plate especially something over 8" indicates a better transom or just a company willing to roll the dice and let people run what they want? I remember Xpress had issues with welds popping when people were putting 12" of setback on them but they dealt with the problem and came up with a fix for it. I don't blame Tracker for being cautious especially for as many boats as they sell. Their transom seems to be pretty well designed on the 175 and 190. I guess they got the cracking transom issue fixed on the 195? That said, even if less than 1% of boats have issues if you crank out A LOT of hulls that less than 1% can still sound like a lot if you don't look at the whole picture.

And remember, EVERYTHING is OK to do until it's not!
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

The school of hard knocks is a rough way to be educated!

2. Member
    I had a 6" Manual Plate on a Lowe 18HP. Got 2mph and a lot of SQUIRREL! The prop is much more important on a tin. Went to a Spitfire X7 on the Ranger and it's magnificent. Great overal lift and great stern lift at hole #3. Xpress uses .125" on their boats. I would never have a 450# motor on a .100 transom.
    2015 Ranger RT188 DC; BassCat Storage Box; Mercury Optimax 115ProXS;
    19" Spitfire X7; Vessel View Mobile; Minn Kota Ultrex 80; GForce Handle;
    TM Eliminator; Helix 7 G2N SI Combo F/R; HydroWave KVD; BBT 4" Angled Bow Mount; Durasafe Locks for Electronics and Ultrex;
    Twist Step Boarding Ladder; EZEE Step ES1; BAC RAC Rod Storage; Motor Mate Transom Saver

3. iNCORRECT pOLITICALLY
    Quote Originally Posted by GeauxTide View Post
    The prop is much more important on a tin.
    Just the 4.5" on my hull made a big difference. Boat rides higher than Willie Nelson after a little height tweaking. I do know I need to send my prop in to the prop bender. It's not what it was when it was new and I feel like some cup to tote the nose better would work great on my hull. Tracker Revolution hulls seem to like the stern down and bow up when running. I've heard flat transom boats like your RT like more of a stern lifting prop but could be wrong. I'll take my 17p NRS3 in when my buddy decides to get his 25 Trophy worked. His Champion 196 will fly with that Trophy. Or maybe I'll just buy the prop similar to what I have but more cup since that's what I want to do to the one I have.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

The school of hard knocks is a rough way to be educated!

4. Member
    Every single aluminum boat manufacturer has had issues at one time or another. It happens. I think most of us need to keep in mind that most tin boats are designed and manufactured to be entry level and are not performance driven excluding the brands/models with pad hull designs. That being said, I have an 06 PT170 with a 90 2-stroke, 6in plate, dual poles and push 45 loaded.

5. Member
    I have had a 6" Jackplate on my Tracker 175 with a 90 hp on it for 3 years, no issues at all.

6. Member
    I have had a jackplate on darn near every aluminum boat I have had...which has been quite a few. Never had an issue knock on wood!

7. Member
    I have run my 2021 Ranger 198p with and without a 6" manual jackplate. Boat runs MUCH better with the setback. No problems with the setup. Would not run without it.

John Walker - Matthews NC

2021 Ranger RT198P - Mercury 150 4S - Enertia Eco
    VesselView Link - MotorGuide Tour Pro - Lowrance Carbons