1990 champion 201. Lost power to accessories and trim switch.

Hi I've lost power to accessories. Power switch, pumps, lights and power trim switch on throttle handle. All worked fine, The down on power trim was intermittent so I replaced both power trim relays and put wires back on neg side battery and have nothing. Motor starts. Have Power to trim motor. Works with screwdriver up and down.Was looking for breaker. All seems fine. Breakers below toggles on dash are all in. I'm not sure exactly what wires powers the dash. Thanks for your help!

Did you look really good to see if you left a negative wire off when you reconnected the battery cable? Sometimes they disappear in the bilge and you miss one

3. Member
    I did. Took pictures beforehand. I'm gona get back in there later. Gotta be a breaker somewhere I think. Thanks for response!

4. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    I'm with champ223, sounds like you missed the ground that goes to the console. Make sure it didn't fall between the battery and the side of the compartment. Check with a voltmeter under the console between the black and red #12 wires. No 12v there indicated an issue back toward the battery. The breaker is in line with the 12ga red wire coming off the battery. Here is a shot of the 93 201 I had. Your tank may be 180 out. I don't know when they moved the cross over to under the splashwell. The yellow circle is around the breaker. Yours may not be like that, but close to the cranking battery like this one.

93 battery compartment-1.jpg
    Last edited by Tx Champ; 03-09-2023 at 05:12 PM.

5. Member
    Thanks for responding! Rain kept me from messing with it yesterday. Will check those wires this afternoon. Thank you for help!

6. Member
    Well I now have Power at dash, lights pumps work. Not sure why lol but I will take it. Power trim switch on throttle still nothing. Keep plugging away

7. Member
    Bad positive connection at battery was the dash power problem. Easy fix. Nothing at trim switch on throttle yet. Motor runs up and down with screwdriver on relays.

8. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Trim is going to come from the outboard harness. You can take the model of your outboard and pull up the schematic on Boats.net: Outboard Motors, OEM Marine Parts, Boats for Sale. The trims I've worked on in the past is you have 12v on the center of the trim switch and it switches to the Up & down relays. If you don't have that 12v, start looking for a blown fuse under the cowling. If you'll post up the info (make, model, HP) on your outboard I'll find the schematic for you.

9. Member
    Thanks! 1983 mercury 150 black max. Nothing from bow switch or throttle handle. Appreciate the help!

10. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JC1971 View Post
    Thanks! 1983 mercury 150 black max. Nothing from bow switch or throttle handle. Appreciate the help!
    Got the serial #? If I look it up by HP, I need the serial.

11. Member
    Well I have a manufacturer ID # is all on title. 6366799 Hope that's it, if not can look on motor tomorrow. Thank you!

12. Member
    That's the serial number I found on motor bracket.

13. Member
    Hi again. I took a few pics. I ran a jumper to blue wire directly and motor cam20230312_123818.jpge up. [ATTACH=CONFIG]51620230312_120551.jpg496[/ATTACH]
    Last edited by JC1971; 03-12-2023 at 12:48 PM.

14. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Sorry, boats.net didn't have any schematics, just parts. Based on your SN, I believe these are the parts lists for your outboard, Mercury - Outboard - 150HP - 150HP XR-2 4868998 THRU 0A904645 OEM Parts | Boats.net.

So the red wire in your 2nd picture, does it have 12v on it all the time? That red block that it connects to then in turn that connects to a post on the relays, is that a fuse? Can you post pix of the other connections on those relays similar to the black wires?

Guessing your model is 150ELPT or 150EXLPT?

15. Member
    That red wire goes straight to the battery. Yes 12v. That block is not a fuse that i can tell. Goes to both relay which have Power. Thanks for helping me out!

16. Member

17. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Only other check would be to see if you can find a fuse block there on the side of the motor and check all the fuses. After that, take it to the Mercury forum on here and ask European AM. You'll need your model and serial numbers.

Mercury Motors (bbcboards.net)

If I had a schematic, I could help you further ... sorry

18. Member
    No problem at all. I appreciate it!