Suzuki DF150A - Stratos 285 Pro XL

I needed a new engine and just put a new DF150A on my 2006 Stratos 285XL- Its propped with a Suzuki Watergrip 14 3/4 x 23- Its super quiet and just purrs and I really like the motor but still messing the set up- I knew going in it would be slower since my old vmax would push the boat around 57-58 loaded down- I can get to 52 with this prop before its starts slipping at 6K RPM- I have heard Solas Scorpion props may be better suited and I do need a spare prop. Anyone had any experience with similar size motor and boat combo ?- Was hoping to get to around 55 or so
    I don't always find schooling fish but when I do I backlash on the first cast

2. Member
    The prop is not slipping you are hitting the rev limiter. That's a pretty big boat for a 150. What is the hull rated at?

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    The prop is not slipping you are hitting the rev limiter. That's a pretty big boat for a 150. What is the hull rated at?
    boat is rated for a 150. Its slipping for sure. The rev limiter kicks on around 6200 and the smart gauge lets you know :)

I would think that a 22 or 23 Scorpion should put you where you need to be. There was one on the props page for a good price not that long ago. Also check amazon for props as I picked one up a Scorpion last month for $349 New
    Joe Galada - Tamaqua, PA
    2004 Ranger 521VX - Yamaha 250 SHO

5. Member
    They say suzuki runs bigger props than most.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePA View Post
    I would think that a 22 or 23 Scorpion should put you where you need to be. There was one on the props page for a good price not that long ago. Also check amazon for props as I picked one up a Scorpion last month for $349 New
    This seems to be the consensus pick. Thx

7. Member
    Odd. I'm not an expert, obviously, but I've never had a prop "slip" on top end. I used to have a 175DF and ran a 23.5 pitch 16 inch diameter 3 blade because I got them cheap. Worked pretty good but they would hit the limiter. I did find the best addition and cheapest was a whale tail. I've since gone to a 200 DF, use the same prop same whale tail can max out in the 50's I think, but I am not into speed that much normally. I'm about to put a 27 pitch 4 blade on, especially since when I put it on the trailer a nasty piece of what looks like 60 pound mono is sticking out of the prop. Hope it didn't get the seals.