Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black spark plugs

1E 002827 Okay, my motor has been idling poorly, so I was told it was probably the tracker or the fuel diaphragm so I replaced both well now the motor dies when you touch the peadal it will idle but not turn any RPMs. So I get it home an pull the plugs an they look like I painted them with black primer. So I pulled the diaphragms to check them an they look good still an they were seated correctly. Thoughts please Thanks

2. Member
    need fuel/air psi test preformed after engine is shut off
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    [QUOTE=JOE54;12913525]need fuel/air psi test preformed after engine is shut off[/
    Okay we’ll just take a guess at what could be going on here. The motor would at least run before I swapped the regulator an tracker valve. Now it won’t even pull off the trailer.

4. Member
    All due respect, “taking a guess” caused you to spend a couple hundred dollars on something that didn’t fix your issue. Taking some time to perform the basic tests is almost always better than the shotgun approach.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lmoore View Post
    All due respect, “taking a guess” caused you to spend a couple hundred dollars on something that didn’t fix your issue. Taking some time to perform the basic tests is almost always better than the shotgun approach.
    I was told by a certified tech who had done a pressure test on the motor that it was a fuel regulator diaphragm I replaced the tracker a fuel. The ones I took out looked just fine I even put them under a cut out Gatorade bottle cap an put soap a water in the bottle a put the pieces under some pressure they both had no issues. I did a test today of my own an the pressures are 92# on air side an 106# plus or minus a # when I shut off motor the pressure holds an then they both drop at about the same rate. The fuel is the last one to completely drop to zero.

6. Member
    Heck might be what was wrong with mine
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

7. Member
    Or fuel pump rubber sleeve like joe said
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DewRonInc View Post
    Or fuel pump rubber sleeve like joe said
    I haven’t been told that yet, I hope it is that simple for you. ( if that is simple)

9. Member
    Mine was crank trigger, urs is more likely fuel pump sleeve as far as a guess, but look at crank trigger and see if a screw is out
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

10. Member
    It maybe! How does a sleeve affect the running issue I’m having?
    an what purpose does it serve in the overall functioning of the motor?

11. Member
    sleeve splits will have little to no fuel psi for just seconds may start die start die , BULL id have to see what all the sensors and switches are saying before i made a decision on whats causing plug problem /poor idle , does engine have new OEM stats in it 130
    degree
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullred View Post
    It maybe! How does a sleeve affect the running issue I’m having?
    an what purpose does it serve in the overall functioning of the motor?
    Get those air and fuel pressure tests:

-At idle

-Under Acceleration

-5/10/15 seconds after engine shutdown (restart for each time period).

In 99+% of cases with a split fuel pump sleeve, you WILL see it in the results of the above tests.

Curious- when were your spark plugs last replaced?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Get those air and fuel pressure tests:

-At idle

-Under Acceleration

-5/10/15 seconds after engine shutdown (restart for each time period).

In 99+% of cases with a split fuel pump sleeve, you WILL see it in the results of the above tests.

Curious- when were your spark plugs last replaced?
    plugs were replaced 10 hrs or so ago if that. When I’m on the water I put in close to where I won’t to fish for the day an I fish more than I ride.
    Pressure @ idle was. 92# port side an 106# on starboard side, I never idle engine up at all.
    At shutdown pressure’s remained steady for 5 seconds or so then they started drop simultaneously an slow

14. Member
    All you have to do is snatch top of VST off
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    sleeve splits will have little to no fuel psi for just seconds may start die start die , BULL id have to see what all the sensors and switches are saying before i made a decision on whats causing plug problem /poor idle , does engine have new OEM stats in it 130
    degree
    Yes sir he said he replaced those. I’m gonna get a thermo temp tester an check the temp on each one. Could the motor have gone into guardian mode an blacked out the plugs while I idled 1/2 mile? What’s the procedure to get it out of guardian mode on the muffs? I can‘t idle it up much it throws a hi rev alarm!

16. Member
    did you idle with warning horn sounding , dont rev it on hose or in neutral can damage gearcase , BULL has thid engine ever ran correctly, how long have you owned it ??? i know there are some very shady folks out there selling engines that are not up to par some of these i know for a fact that have ended up being sold to some good folks on this site with a rash of problems that myself and DON are trying to help resolve issues with , from what they have described to me are lets say very lack luster

17. Member
    Well I could have rev’ed it up a little bit not high at all 1500 maybe the alarm would go off then stop when i eased off foot. Three times maybe! Too answer the running right question it has never idled right but it would run good when once you give it throttle an if I ran it fairly hard it would idle good once I come back down to idle it would idle good for 30 seconds or so then back to rough idle. The rebuilder has a pretty good reputation for doing a good job on these motors. But he told me he really didn’t know how to trouble shot the motor so he had a Mercury tech mechanic put it on the DDT an he said it was a fuel diaphragm issue. I changed that a the tracker an that’s when the plugs turned black. But let me say the motor had developed a skip in it the that I could hear an feel when I was coming in that afternoon an it didn’t won’t too run at all so something really happened then. I did replace a coil on it because it was skipping just like I just described an I pulled the plugs to find out which one of those was acting up.

18. Member
    if problem with plugs started when you repaired rails i would investigate that system

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    if problem with plugs started when you repaired rails i would investigate that system
    This may or may not be an issue but the plug that’s on top of the port side rail blew off when I had the fuel line keeper off so I could fix the leak I had on the fuel line. Would there have been anything under that cap that could have blew out of the rail? It blew off as I turned away to shut engine down. I was very lucky to find the dag’um plug. I look at the rail parts diagram an I did not see anything under the plug on the drawing.

20. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    No- the plug simply has an o-ring on it. You're mighty lucky though... that puppy makes one heck of a slug, and had it connected with you....

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast