Alternator upgrade for mercury L6 Verado

Anyone aware of a higher output alternator that is available for the mercury L6 Verado motors. The current 70 amp alternators don't cut it if you want to keep a house battery charged. Mercury model #1251V23LD serial # 2B365664.

2. Member
    https://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=1109085

I believe this is the upgraded alt off of the verado for the other 4 strokes?

per don "It's a standard feature on the Verado and DTS V8 engine models."
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mactlman View Post
    https://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=1109085

I believe this is the upgraded alt off of the verado for the other 4 strokes?

per don "It's a standard feature on the Verado and DTS V8 engine models."
    That would be the Verado V8, or DTS V8 (not the L6).

What configuration are you running that's trying to charge more than one battery? Do you have an Isolator setup or an ACR?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Boat came with an AGM for the starter and a lead acid house battery. A Mercury isolator for the batteries. Of course the Verado has the power steering. I am running three Lowrance 12" displays, 3D and Active Target. Most of time I am also running two live wells. Last year I replaced the the lead acid house battery with a 125 amp lithium. The lead acid could not handle the load on a normal fishing day. The isolator was removed and a victron dc/dc converter is used to charge the lithium battery.

I went to the lithium to have the reserve power to last all day. The standard Verado alternator does not put enough current to provide meaningful charging to the house battery. I would like to be able to go a couple days without running the on board charger on occasion. Hence, the question.

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Understood. Isolator is the recommended method here- but it's driven DIRECT from the alternator (not battery cables). Any change to the alternator or isolator also requires change to the fusible link (output) lead.

Another option to look at is to have your steering pump current (demand) checked. Depending on which version you have, the latest-gen steering pumps are more efficient and may reduce demands enough to help with your primary goal.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Thank you Don. I will have to check the steering pump differences. Love the L6 Verado, but never understood why the weak alternator. Knowing full well that when that pump is running it's a negative current situation.

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    They've done quite well in a single-battery setup where other demands were reasonable... but from what I see, used that same alternator design all the way up through the 400R.