Procraft/Astro Boats Moderator

Legality of fishing walkers dam?

It seems most all tourney trails have put Walkers Dam on the chick off limits now, stating safety concerns and the fact that there is a sign on the dam stating "danger stay back 100 feet" . Does anyone know the actual regulation prohibiting fishing besides just a sign on the dam itself?
    John Woodward

2010 Nitro Z8

2. Member
    That is a good question. Hope someone in the know will answer. Did Bassmaster put it off limits. I know it has been popular for the Opens.
    Hang on. I'll help you in 77 minutes.

3. Procraft/Astro Boats Moderator
    Yep and most every trail out there... just interesting that after decades of fishing it, now everyone has decided to follow the signage lol.
    John Woodward

2010 Nitro Z8

4. Member
    There was a post on the James River CATT FB page that posted it off limits. Supposedly there's something in the MLF rules due to the sign up there on the dam that would make the water off limits due to safety. Plus there were rumbling people were tying off on the dam and standing/fishing on the dam itself.
    2018 Bass Cat Lynx w/Suzuki 250SS.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by johnw91 View Post
    It seems most all tourney trails have put Walkers Dam on the chick off limits now, stating safety concerns and the fact that there is a sign on the dam stating "danger stay back 100 feet" . Does anyone know the actual regulation prohibiting fishing besides just a sign on the dam itself?
    I don't know if anybody really knows if there is legislation at the state or local level that make these signs have legal standing or not. If I had to guess there is not as I remember those signs went up when the damn was damaged and they had to do the repairs. Up until then the herring fishing crew in the spring would grapple line to it, walk on it, etc... and Pretty sure that is why the signs went up. I did try to look up for any laws on it and could not find any. As for all the tournaments banning the area, as a former tourney director, I would have done the same. Just not worth the hassle of the number of people you hear complaining about people hole sitting on it for others, or questioning it's legality.